Looking for the best webcam for 2018 is vital for you if you’re looking for one to spend some of your time chatting with friends and family over your computer. You may even want a webcam if you’re hoping of becoming the next video game streaming sensation on platforms like YouTube or Twitch.tv!
Whether you will be going to use a webcam or not, you cannot deny that they are a useful bit of PC gear that every user would benefit with having. But before we get into the main event of finding the best of the best, we will first be looking into what you’ll need to consider before making a purchase.
How to Choose a Webcam?
Like with all my other “best of” posts on this website, we will need to go through a few key points first of all so that you have an understanding of what it is you’ll need in a webcam before buying one.
1: Resolution of the Webcam
Resolution equals quality; the higher the resolution, the better the picture will be. If you want yourself to have a high quality image, you will want to get a webcam with a high resolution; one major drawback to this is that higher resolution cameras will be more expensive than low.
If, on the other hand, you don’t care about the quality of the final image, and you’re on a tighter budget, you’ll be better off with a lower resolution webcam. The drawback to this, unfortunately, will be the awful quality compared to higher resolution cams.
Knowing what resolution you’d like for your webcam will be a great help when it comes to browsing the market for the best one for yourself.
2: Frame Rate of the Webcam
As well as resolution, the frame rate of the webcam is just as important. Graphical improvements of yourself to your potential viewers is one thing, but the smooth and life-like movements of yourself to your audience is another.
For example, viewers wouldn’t like seeing the face cam of the player all stuttery and bulky in movement; they’d want it to be clear, crisp and as detailed as possible so that they can see the emotions you’re portraying on your face when an emotional moment happens in their favourite video game that you are currently playing.
The joy of seeing your favourite streamer burst out laughing at a funny moment from a video game is a wonderful thing, and having a webcam that has a high frame rate helps the viewers to see the joyful expressions on the streamer’s face. Plus, high frame rates look good to watch too, and they won’t be distracting or ugly to look at either.
Of course, webcams with high frame rates will be more expensive than ones with lower frames, so if you’re on a tight budget, you may be financially better off with a camera that has lower frames.
3: Price of the Webcam
And finally, the overall price of the webcam is an incredibly important aspect to go through with yourself, especially if you’re on a tight budget and cannot afford to use up too much of your precious money for a webcam.
The two key points that we’ve gone through previously will immensely contribute to the final cost of the web camera, so it is crucially important that you understand how much the previous key points affect the overall price of the webcams to prevent yourself encountering a nasty financial surprise when browsing the market for a camera.
Once you know what you want in a webcam, you will now be ready to choose one to use for your streaming or social needs.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s move on to why we’re here!
1 – Logitech C922
The first webcam on this list is going to be the C922 by Logitech. Logitech are a powerhouse in the technology industry, and this webcam from them is not one to sniff at. If you’re in the market looking for a highly rated webcam that will get the job done, this one should be one of your top considerations.
The reason I say this is because this webcam comes with a tripod, which will let you stand it up on your desk either in front of your screen or beside it. It is a much easier way to set up a camera rather than sticking it on top of your screen, as it will be more secure and steady.
Here are some other things about this webcam that you may love:
- This webcam records in full HD 1080p, so you will look very crisp and clear to your audience and family or friends if you’re going to use this webcam to chat with them overseas, for example.
- Has automatic low light correction. You won’t have to worry about tuning the settings to get that perfectly lit image as the camera will do it for you; you will really appreciate this very convenient feature.
- The tripod is fully adjustable, and can extend to 18.5 cm in length. You can easily raise the tripod up higher if your face is not at the same level as your desk or table.
- Compatible with Windows 7 to 10, Mac OS X 10.9 or higher, and it can even work with your Xbox One. This amount of flexibility makes this a must have webcam.
Sadly, we must now turn to a few drawbacks of this webcam:
- Only records at 30fps, which while may not be bad to a majority of viewers, you still won’t look so buttery smooth on camera.
- This is a pretty pricey camera, and defiantly not the right one for you if you’re on a tight budget.
Nevertheless, this is a marvelous webcam that you should have as a top consideration. In fact, there are more than 2 thousand reviews on Amazon for this webcam, and the majority are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about this webcam, click below:
2 – TeckNet C016
A far cheaper alternative to the C922 is going to be the C016 by TeckNet. This extremely affordable webcam is one that you should consider if you’re on a tight budget and you’re looking for a decent webcam that you can use for that important conference call coming up, or if you just want a camera to talk to your friends and family from far away.
One of the things that makes this a brilliant webcam is the 720p picture resolution. While it’s not fully HD 1080p as the previous webcam was, this is still a very competent resolution, and you won’t appear as a blurry pack of pixels to your viewers; for a budget camera, this is something you just cannot look past.
Here are some other things you may like about this webcam:
- Has a built-in microphone which will save you the hassle and money of buying a separate microphone for talking to people.
- This webcam can track your face automatically; if you move around a lot during conversation, the camera will never leave your beautiful face. 😉
- This webcam doesn’t require a driver to work, so you will be able to plug it into your computer and use it right away. It has a USB 2.0 connection as well, so you don’t need the latest computer system to use it either.
- This webcam is compatible to many Windows OS from Windows XP to 10.
And now it’s time for us to look to the cons of this webcam:
- While the webcam can be used with a tripod, one doesn’t come with it, so you will have to buy a separate tripod if you want to use this webcam on one.
- Doesn’t have a fully HD, 1080p resolution, which may be a problem to some who may want the best quality possible.
In spite of these drawbacks however, this is a great budget webcam that you will appreciate. With over 2 thousand reviews on Amazon, this is a highly rated webcam on the market, and more than half of those reviews have given it 5 stars. Click below if you want to see what other people think of it:
3 – Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
Microsoft as a company needs no introduction; they are one of the most iconic companies on the planet, and have revolutionised the way we share information with each other as a species. This webcam of theirs, the LifeCam HD-3000, is one that you must consider if you’re on the market for one not only made by a sophisticated company, but one that offers widescreen video recording, and is super affordable as well.
Boasting with TrueColour technology, this webcam can automatically adjust to the right settings for practically any lighting conditions. You will always get the best possible brightness and colour in your videos, and this is just one of the reasons why this particular web camera should be one of your top considerations for your conference calls or your video game streaming needs.
If that wasn’t enough, you’ll like that this webcam comes with:
- A built-in microphone which will deliver crystal-clear audio for your audience. Your audience and yourself will be able to hear you quite well, and with a noise canceling feature as well, your angelic voice won’t be blocked out by background noise either.
- 16:9 widescreen video, giving your viewers a cinematic-like experience while watching you speak. This is great if you want to look professional to your superiors or clients during a conference call.
- Records in true HD 720p, which will further add to the professionalism for your important viewers.
- This webcam works with Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo; AOL Instant Messenger, and Skype just to name a few examples of what tools you can use this camera with.
Sadly, we must now look at a few cons of this webcam:
- Highest frame rate it can record in is 30fps, which means you won’t look as sleek or fluid as you would’ve with a 60fps camera.
- Camera isn’t designed for use with a tripod in mind, so you may have to make a few modifications if you want to use this with one.
Nevertheless, this is an awesome web camera that won’t cost you an arm and a leg to buy. If you’d like to find out what other people have to say about it, click below to see some of the 900+ reviews on Amazon for it, with the majority of them being overwhelmingly positive:
4 – TeckNet 1080P
TeckNet makes another appearance on this list with a fully HD 1080p web camera, which is one that you must consider if you want an affordable webcam capable of producing high quality video to make yourself seem very professional and clear to see during important conference calls, or during a casual conversation with a friend or family member from far away.
One of my favourite things about this webcam is its aluminum body. This will make the webcam very durable and less likely to break than it would if it had, for example, a plastic body. You will appreciate how longer lasting this webcam will be for you compared to others on the market.
Here are some other things about this web camera that you may love:
- Has a built-in microphone with ultra clear quality and noise cancellation. People will be able to hear you loud and clear when you talk around this webcam.
- Has a flexible stand to make it easy for you to attach this webcam to any laptop or notebook and use it anywhere you want.
- With its full HD 1080p video, this webcam will make you appear super clear and crisp to your audience. During conference calls or streaming, your viewers will be able to see you crystal clear. Coupled with the clear quality mic as well, this webcam will make you look very professional.
- Compatible with many Windows OS’, from XP to Windows 7. You will be able to use this webcam with a wide range of PCs.
And now we move on a few drawbacks of this webcam:
- Doesn’t come with a tripod, so you won’t be able to base it up high unless you attach it to the top of your laptop or notebook.
In spite of this con, this is a great webcam that is worthy of your consideration; it’s very affordable and has a high quality picture and sound – you will really appreciate what this webcam will do for you. But don’t just take my word for it; there are more than 500 reviews on Amazon for it, and more than half of them have given 5 star reviews. Click below to see what other people think of this product:
5 – papalook 1080P
A bestseller on Amazon.co.uk, this webcam by papalook is one that you must consider if you’re looking for a camera capable of producing video at a 1080p resolution, and is very affordable as well. With a 25fps frame rate, you will appear very fluid and consistent to your viewers, and at a resolution of 1080p, this is a webcam with picture quality that you will really appreciate.
One thing that I love about this webcam, and I think you will love as well, is the built-in noise cancellation microphone that this webcam has. With this, you will easily be heard by your audience and viewers loud and clear, and the noise cancellation technology will prevent any background noise from blocking you out.
Here are some other things you may like about this product:
- Webcam has a universal attachment base which will allow it to attach to your desktop, laptop or notebook. This wide range of things you can clip this webcam on to make it easy for you to use is one of the reasons why it’s such a convenient product.
- Compatible with most major instant messaging services from Skype and MSN to Yahoo and Facebook. You will appreciate how many services you will be able to use this camera with.
- This is a very affordable webcam, and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg to purchase. If you’re on a budget, this is still a suitable camera for your streaming and conference needs.
- Full HD 1080p video quality. You will appreciate the level of quality this webcam will deliver for you.
Sadly, this webcam comes with a con or two:
- There’s no automatic focus with this webcam, so you will have to manually adjust it to your liking.
- Has a 24fps frame rate, which won’t provide smooth and clear video performance as 60fps web cams would provide.
Nevertheless, this is an affordable webcam that you must have as a top consideration if you’re currently on the search for one. In fact, this particular webcam has over 200 reviews on Amazon, and more than half of them are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see the opinions other people have about this product, then click below:
6 – Logitech C270
Another webcam by Logitech, the C270 is a much more affordable Logitech webcam than the C922 from earlier on in this list. This is a webcam that you must consider if you prefer to use a Logitech product, but don’t have nearly enough funds to afford the C922, and want one that can automatically adjust to low light to make yourself stand out better in badly-lit areas.
One of my favourite things about this webcam is the crisp, 3 megapixel photos this camera can produce. With this, you will be able to take clear and crisp images from your laptop or notebook with this webcam; this very convenient feature is one of the reasons why you’ll greatly appreciate this product.
Here are some other things you will appreciate:
- Webcam records video calls in widescreen 720p quality, making you appear clear and crisp to your viewers and audience. This is important for conference calls as you will appear professional and be easy and clear to see by your clients and employers.
- The built-in microphone allows you to be clearly heard by your viewers, and with noise cancellation technology, your voice won’t be drowned out by background noise.
- Webcam has a fluid crystal technology which makes the camera automatically adjust the frame rate, sharpness, colour saturation and audio to provide the best video and sound quality possible for the convenience of yourself and your viewers.
- Webcam is compatible with many operating systems, from Windows 7-10, Mac OS 10.10 or above, and Chrome OS. You will appreciate the amount of systems you will be able to use this camera on.
And now, it’s time for us to look through a few drawbacks of this webcam:
- You can’t adjust the angle of the webcam automatically. You will have to adjust it manually, which may be an inconvenience to some.
In spite of this, however, this is a marvelous webcam that you must consider if you’re in the market looking for one at this time. In fact, there are many reviews on Amazon for this product, and a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. Click below if you would like to see these reviews and find out what other people have to say about this webcam:
7 – Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
Here is another webcam in the LifeCam series from Microsoft; the LifeCam Cinema is a webcam to consider if you’re looking for one that, while isn’t as affordable as some of the other camera on this list, still produces high quality video and has many features that you will appreciate for your important conference calls or streaming needs.
Like the LifeCam HD-3000, the LifeCam Cinema also has TrueColour technology which automatically adjusts the lighting and colour of the video to make you stand out the best in practically any lighting condition possible. This is one of the features that makes this webcam a must have for you.
Here are some other features that you may like:
- Webcam has an aluminum body to make it durable and last longer than webcams made with less durable materials. You’ll appreciate how much longer this webcam will last compared to others on the market.
- With a noise canceling microphone, you will be easily heard by your viewers when you use this webcam. This is great if you’re going to use it for important conference calls as the last thing you’d want is your clients or employers not hearing you clearly.
- Records video at a HD resolution of 720p with a frame rate of 30fps. You will appear very crisp and clear to your viewers and you won’t have to worry about your picture quality being bad with this webcam.
- Webcam has a flexible stand which allows it to bend and fold around without breaking. You will be able to secure it to your laptop at a funny angle and the stand won’t snap.
Unfortunately, this webcam has a major drawback to it:
- There are limited functionalities when you use this webcam on a Mac or a system running Windows 7 or less. Because of this, it may be better for you to use another webcam from this list if you have a computer running a Mac or Windows 7 or below operating system.
Nevertheless, if you have the right system for this webcam, you will be very pleased with what it can do for you. In fact, there are more than a hundred reviews on Amazon for it, and the majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. Click below if you want to read these reviews and find out what other people have to say about this webcam:
8 – Trust Primo
Trust are the go-to company if you are looking for great value-for-money technology; they have some of the greatest budget tech on the market, and their Primo webcam certainly is one of them. This webcam is by FAR the cheapest one on this list… but it comes with a price. This webcam also has the lowest resolution at 640 x 480 pixels, or 480p resolution. Because of this, this webcam definitely isn’t the right one for you if you’re looking to have the best quality available.
If, on the other hand, you’re on a REALLY tight budget, and don’t at all mind the huge downgrade in quality of the final picture, then this webcam may be the right one for you. With a snapshot button to quickly take a picture of yourself, and a stand which will allow you to rest this webcam on your desk, the Primo is a product that has many features under its belt.
Here are some things you will appreciate about this webcam:
- Has a built-in microphone with clear sound quality. You won’t need to buy an external microphone even with the most affordable webcam as it has one embedded for you to speak to your audience or viewers.
- The webcam can be easily plugged into your computer and used. There’s no reason for you or your computer to download any drivers to make this webcam work.
- With a snapshot button, you will be able to quickly and easily take a picture of yourself with this webcam. This is great if you need to quickly take an up-to-date image of yourself.
- This webcam comes with a stand, allowing you to easily stand it on your desk or a table and minimizes the need to slot it on top of your desktop monitor or laptop screen.
Now, we move on to the cons of this webcam:
- At 480p, this is the smallest resolution webcam on this list, and not the one for you if you’re looking to have the best quality available. This is a budget-based webcam, and it definitely shows.
Nevertheless, this is a wonderful budget webcam, and one that you must consider if you’re not looking for anything special in a webcam and have a tight budget. In fact, there are over 80 reviews for this product on Amazon, and more than half of them have given this webcam 4 and 5 star reviews. If you want to see these reviews, click below now:
9 – Creative Live
Yet another webcam that won’t cost the average person a lot of money to buy, the Creative Live webcam is one you must consider if you’re in the market looking for an affordable web camera for that important conference call or streaming deadline, and you want the picture quality to be somewhat decent at 720p resolution.
Like many of the other cameras on this list, this one also has a built-in microphone with noise canceling technology designed to make your voice sound loud and clear to your viewers without it being drowned out by background noise. Furthermore, you won’t have to worry about installing any drivers as it can be simply plugged into your computer and used right away.
Here are some other things about this webcam that I know you will love:
- Has a one-click uploading feature from the company’s Live! Centeral 3 Lite software which can allow you to easily upload any videos you have taken with the webcam to the likes of YouTube, Facebook and Twitter easily with one press of the feature in the software.
- Furthermore with the software, you will be able to easily snap photos or record videos using the software as well. This makes using this webcam very straightforward and easy.
- The webcam doesn’t require any drivers to be used, so you can simply plug it into your computer and use it straight away.
- This webcam can easily be attached to the top of your computer screen, and you won’t have to bother about using a tripod for it.
Sadly, this webcam has a drawback or two that we need to look into:
- You can’t use this webcam on a tripod. If you prefer using a webcam on a tripod or on a stand of its own rather than being attached to the top of your monitor, you may be better off looking at a different webcam on this list. Trust’s Primo is a good example of a webcam with a stand of its own.
In spite of this, this is a great affordable web camera, and absolutely worth your consideration if you’re on the market looking for one. In fact, there are over 50 reviews for this product on Amazon, and quite a lot of them are positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about this webcam, click below:
10 – Logitech C615
The final web camera we shall be looking at on this list is going to be the C615 by Logitech. While this one isn’t as affordable as a lot of the other webcams on this list, this is still a great webcam, and one that you must consider if you’re looking for one packed with a lot of convenient features and mad by a respectable company.
One thing which separates this webcam from the others on this list is the webcam’s “fold-and-go” design and short USB cable. Because of this, you will easily be able to take this webcam with you everywhere you go.
Here are some other things you may like about this webcam:
- The camera lens has a built-in auto focus, which will ensure that you are in razor sharp focus of the camera within 10cm from it. You won’t have to worry about manually adjusting the focus, or worrying that you aren’t in focus with this webcam.
- Webcam has Logitech’s Fluid Crystal technology, which makes the camera automatically adjust many things from frame rate and colour saturation to provide you the best quality possible.
- The webcam can easily be attached to a tripod, and its swiveling design makes recording and calling people at any angle very easy and hassle-free.
- The webcam can easily be ported around with you thanks to its foldable design and short USB cable.
Now it’s time to look at a few cons of this webcam:
- The USB cable is very short, so it may be difficult to use this webcam on a desktop computer that may be a bit far away from the desk you use your PC at. This webcam is more suitable for use with laptops and notebooks instead.
Nevertheless, this is a wonderful webcam for you to have, especially if you travel around everywhere and are in dire need of one; this should be one of your top considerations if you’re on the move a lot of the time. While there aren’t a lot of reviews on Amazon for this webcam, most of them have rated it highly positive. Click below if you want to see what other people have to say about it:
And that was the final webcam for this list! Thank you so much for reading, and I really hope you have found what you are looking for with this list.
If you enjoyed this “best of” post, please be sure to check out some of my other “best of” posts of PC peripherals and accessories; I’ve done a “best of” post for mouse pads, gaming chairs and headphones for some examples.
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I wish you all the best!