Looking for the best racing wheel for your gaming PC or your PS4 or Xbox One can be very important, especially if you are bored of using a keyboard or a controller for your favourite racing games.
Racing games on the PC platform aren’t as popular as, say, First Person Shooters (FPS) or Real Time Strategy (RTS) games. Similar to FPS games and sports games, however, racing games can immerse us into its world and give us the freedom of doing something we can’t really do in real life.
With racing games, such as Need For Speed and Dirt Rally, we can zip through streets and engage in world rally championships without putting ourselves or anyone else in danger… it’s all make-believe, and that’s the fun part of it all.
With a mouse and keyboard, or a controller, you will be able to easily play these kinds of games, but with a specially designed racing wheel which accurately mimics the look and feel of a proper steering wheel of a race car, you will be totally immersed inside the game.
Many gamers argue that using a racing wheel is the most simplest and effective way of playing racing games, and it’s clear to see why – steering with a wheel would be exactly like the real thing, and you will easily get a sense of how far you need to turn the wheel to cleanly make it past that tight corner; with a joystick on a controller or a key on a keyboard, it will be a little trickier to judge how much “turning power” you need to make it through that corner.
This is why many regard a racing wheel as the best method of control with a racing game, and as a peripheral, it’s my job to find you the one that you should have the most if you have racing games in your library and want to experience the closest thing to real life.
How to Choose a Racing Wheel?
But before we get to that, we need to first go through a few key points that you should know before using your hard-earned cash to buy a racing wheel. These key points will help you understand the most important aspects of a racing wheel and which ones you most desire to help you come to a purchasing decision.
1: Amount of Rotation
Every racing wheel on the market has a different maximum level of rotation; some can rotate to an astounding 1080 degrees to simulate, say, the large steering radius of a truck, while others can only rotate to a mere 270 degrees, which would be more appropriate for racing games that require agile and twitchy steering.
The kinds of racing games you play will massively alter the right racing wheel for you. If you play simulator games such as Euro Truck Simulator 2, you may be better off with a wheel with a large amount of rotation for maximum immersion. If, on the other hand, you play racing game that requires quick steering such as a rally or F1 game, a small amount of rotation would be better off for you.
2: Vibration Feedback
As well as the amount of rotation, racing wheels also vary with the amount of vibration feedback they can give to you. When it comes to immersion, vibration feedback is vital, especially if you are going to play driving or racing games where there are a lot of bumps and jumps – particularly rally games where you zip through dirt tracks and race over hills.
Depending on how much immersion you want in your games will be a big factor in helping you to decide on the right racing wheel for you, and all racing wheels on the market have their own individual level of vibration feedback.
Of course, you have to option to turn off the vibration feedback on your wheel, especially if you don’t want it to distract you while you are driving carefully and steadily. If you aren’t really longing for very immersive vibrations for your steering wheel, you may opt for one which doesn’t have as much feedback as other wheels.
The final thing you will need to consider is the compatibility of the racing wheel in comparison to the operation system of your computer system. If the racing wheel is only compatible with a more modern version of Windows, and you only have, say, Windows 7 which is seen by a few as old and outdated, there may be a slight chance of the racing wheel to not work properly or as efficiently than it would with a more modern Windows OS.
Before you use your money to purchase a racing wheel, you will need to check that it is compatible with your computer to save yourself from being thoroughly disappointed.
Once you have gone through these key points and know what you need in your racing wheel, you are all good to go in choosing the right one for your gaming needs.
So, without further ado, let’s get down to the main event!
1 – Logitech G29 Driving Force
Starting off this list is going to be the Logitech G29 racing wheel; this is one which you must consider if you are on the market looking for an affordable racing wheel. The reason I say this is because this wheel comes with a dual-motor vibration feedback, which will make you feel VERY immersed in your games. Plus, this racing wheel is very affordable compared to others on the market.
One of my favourite features this racing wheel has is the stainless steel paddle shifters. This will give you the sense of the real paddle shifters of a sports car, and will make gear changes far easier than with a manual gearbox.
Here are some other features of this racing wheel that you might like:
- Has an LED RPM indicator which acts like a real indicator and shows you the RPM of your virtual car’s engine. This will not only give you more immersion in your games, but it will also show you when the right time to change gears is.
- The responsive paddles give you a natural feel of braking and accelerating. This is great if you are looking for an immersive experience to your racing or driving.
- The wheel can be mounted securely to a table or desk, which can not only save you a lot of space, but will also make it easier for you to use.
- This racing wheel can be used with Windows 7 to 10, and can also be used with a PS3 / PS4 as well, giving you a lot of compatibility.
Unfortunately, this seemingly perfect racing wheel has a few drawbacks that you will need to know about:
- Can’t be used with Mac or Linux OS.
- Though cheaper than other racing wheels on the market, this is still a pretty pricey peripheral, and probably not one for you if you aren’t serious with racing games.
- As this racing wheel is for Sony consoles, it won’t be as easy to plug it into your PC and use it right away as you would with an Xbox product; you will most likely have to use specific software to get it to work. Logitech recommends their gaming software to allow you to use it on your PC.
Nevertheless, this is a great product that I know you will love if you are a big fan of racing games. Click below to visit this product’s Amazon page which has more than 300 reviews, with a majority of them being overwhelmingly positive:
2 – Logitech G920
We move on to the G920 racing wheel by Logitech; this is almost identical to the G29 racing wheel, with only a few differences separating the two. Nevertheless, this is absolutely a must have racing wheel if you are looking for one for your gaming rig.
One thing which separates it from the previous racing wheel is the fact that this one can be used with an Xbox One as well as a PC. Because of this, it will be much easier to use it for your computer as unlike the previous one, it will be a simple plug-in-and-play rather than using specific software to allow Sony products to be used on your computer.
Here are some other things that you may like about this racing wheel:
- Covered in high quality leather and with steel paddles and pedals, this racing wheel is very durable. This is great if you want this product to last you a long time and to make it well worth the hefty price you paid for it.
- This wheel has a 900 degree amount of rotation, giving you a lot of room to turn the wheel around. At 900 degrees, you will be able to turn it around two and a half times, which is roughly the same amount in a real car, making this a very accurate racing wheel.
- Contains dual-motors which will give you a lot of realistic vibration feedback in your games. Perfect if you want to be immersed inside your racing games.
- Can be plugged into your computer via its USB cable, which makes it very simple for you to use it with your PC.
And now we move on to the cons of this racing wheel:
- Can’t be used with a PS3 / PS4 – you will have to look at the G29 if you wish to use a racing wheel for those consoles.
- Much more pricey than the G29. While this one is more easier to set up for your computer, if you are on a slight budget, you may want to either look at the G29, or check out the other cheap wheels on this list.
Looking past these few drawbacks, however, its clear to see why this has so many positive reviews on Amazon. This is a great racing wheel, and one that you must consider if you are looking for one for either your PC or Xbox One. It’s durability and dual-motor feature are things that I know you will be glad it has. If you want to see what other people have to say about it on Amazon, click below:
3 – Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE
The first Thrustmaster racing wheel on this list (there will be a LOT of them) is going to be the T300 Ferrari GTE. This is a must have racing wheel if you are looking for a competent racing wheel for either your PC or PS3 / PS4.
One of my favourite features of this racing wheel, and one that I know you will love about it too, are the buttons on the front of the wheel which simulate the buttons on actual racing cars. You will be able to easily call for a pit stop with the “pit” button, manually turn on the wipers with the “wiper” button and so on.
This gives you quite a lot of room for immersion, and customisability as you will be able to program these buttons to do whatever you’d like them to do as well.
If that wasn’t enough, you will love the fact that this racing wheel:
- Contains Thrustmaster’s own HEART (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) which gives the racing wheel super precise sensors which can detect how far the wheel has turned and will turn the car in-game to this amount of level. It will also decrease the amount of friction which will remove any mechanical wear, and you won’t lose any precision either. This can give you an accurate and precise control of your vehicle, which is vital in games like rallying where precision is key.
- Has fully adjustable pedals which can have their height and spacing adjusted to accompany just about the legs and feet of anybody. This makes this racing wheel very flexible and can be used by a majority of people. You will most likely be able to use this product no matter how large or small your legs and feet are.
- Has super silent and ultra-responsive vibration feedback, so you will feel very immersed inside your racing games. Plus, you won’t hear the motors powering the vibrations, so there won’t be any sound to take you out of the game either.
Sadly, even this racing wheel has its drawbacks which need to be addressed:
- Many people have critisised the poor customer support over at Thrustmaster in regards to this product, and other Thrustmaster products. If you buy this product, you may have to be ready for poor customer service if something happens to it, but this may vary in terms of location.
- Can’t be used with an Xbox One, so you will have to look elsewhere if you wish to use a racing wheel with your Xbox console.
Looking past the random chance of bad customer support, however, this is a very well-made racing wheel for your PC or PlayStation console, and a must have if you are currently looking for one. But don’t just take my word, there are hundreds of reviews for this product on Amazon, and a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. Click below to see these reviews and find out what other people’s thoughts are of it:
4 – Thrustmaster T150 RS Pro
Here is another racing wheel for both your PC and PlayStation console on this list, and the second Thrustmaster racing wheel, the T150 RS Pro. A lot more affordable than their T300 Ferrari GTE, this is a must have if you are on a tighter budget and are in the middle of a search for a reliable racing wheel for your computer or PS4.
One of my favourite features that this product has is the adjustable pedals which you can adjust to fit your personal liking. No matter how big or small your feet or legs are, the pedals will be easy for you to reach and to use effectively to set yourself faster lap times than you would with a controller or keyboard.
Here are some other features that you may like:
- Durable wheel and pedals means that this product won’t break on you anytime soon. This is just one of the reasons why this is a must have.
- Has easy to use PlayStation buttons on the front of the wheel to make navigating menus simple and easy. You won’t have to grab and use a controller, and why this racing wheel is very convenient for you.
- This racing wheel can allow you to adjust the amount of rotation it can do. No matter what game you are playing, be it a truck simulator which would require a slow and steady amount of rotation, to a rallying game which would be better off with a small and agile amount of rotation, you will be able to realistically use this wheel for both of these games. Another reason why this is a very convenient racing wheel, and a must have no matter what racing game you play.
- One of the more affordable racing wheels on this list. If you are on a slight budget, this is definitely one that should be up for your consideration.
Sadly, this racing wheel isn’t without its cons either:
- Isn’t compatible with an Xbox system, so you will have to look at another racing wheel on this list if you wish for a racing wheel for your Xbox One for example.
Nevertheless, if you have a PS3 / PS4, this is a marvelous racing wheel for your system, and a perfect one for your PC. Though it may be deemed as an entry level racing wheel, this is a serious peripheral, and absolutely a must have due to its convenience and features. Click below to see the hundreds of Amazon reviews for it, with a majority of them being very positive:
5 – RWA: Racing Wheel Apex
Giving us a short break from the Thrustmaster streak on this list will be the Racing Wheel Apex, or RWA, by Hori. This is a brilliant racing wheel to consider if you are in the market looking for one for your computer or PS3 / PS4. The reason why I say this is because it’s extremely affordable and has fully programmable buttons at the front of the wheel which you can map to anything you desire.
One of my favourite features of this racing wheel is the quick handling mode which you can easily toggle to make the wheel turn to 180 degrees rather than it’s default 270. The quick handling mode will be perfect for you if you play arcade racing games that require super agile and sensitive handling.
If that wasn’t enough, you will love these other things about this racing wheel:
- The foot pedals can have their input sensitivity customised, so you will be able to make full use of the pedals no matter how strong or weak your legs may be. You can make it so you won’t have to press the brakes fully down in order to break hard.
- Comes with a clamp so you will be able to securely fasten it to a table or desk and make it super easy for you to use.
- Also comes with large gear paddle shifters to make changing gears much easier for you than with traditional manual gearboxes. Can also serve as great immersion if you are racing in a sports car that also has paddle gears.
- A very affordable racing wheel for both your PC and PlayStation console. It won’t cost you an arm and a leg to buy compared to other racing wheels on the market.
And now, we move on to the drawbacks of this racing wheel:
- Though it is cheap, this is very much an entry level racing wheel, so it won’t come with the durability or extra features as the more expensive wheels will contain.
- This racing wheel can’t be used with an Xbox One, so you will need to look elsewhere for a wheel for your Microsoft console.
No matter the cons, however, this is a wonderful budget-friendly racing wheel for your PS4 or PC, and definitely a must have if you are on the market looking for such a peripheral. Out of the 53 reviews this racing wheel has on Amazon, a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive; click below to see them and find out what other people’s thoughts are:
6 – Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider
Here is yet another racing wheel by Thrustmaster; the Ferrari 458 Spider racing wheel. This is a great racing wheel if you are looking for an affordable one for your PC or Xbox One, and the reason I say this is because this racing wheel has an adjustable wheel sensitivity and it won’t have too big of an impact on your bank account either unlike a lot of the other wheels on this list.
One of my favourite features is the adjustable pedal set. You will be able to adjust the pedals to fit your liking, and there is also an extra space behind the pedals to place your feet onto and make it much easier for you to use the pedals when needed.
Here are some other features that you may like about this racing wheel:
- Has a central clamping system which gives you the ability to clamp this racing wheel to a table or desk of your liking. This will make it much easier for you to use this racing wheel, and it will be very convenient if you use your PC or Xbox console on a desk.
- Programmable buttons on the front of the wheel can be mapped to however you like with your gaming PC, and for your Xbox One this will make it much easier to navigate through menus with the wheel rather than using your controller to do this. This is just another reason why this product is so convenient for you.
- Also has a bungee cord mechanism which shoots the wheel back into a straight position when you let go of it. This will make it very easy for you to reset the wheel, and will prevent the wheel from locking up at a funny angle.
- The racing wheel is a 7/10 replica of an ACTUAL Ferrari 458 Spider steering wheel, so it will feel very comfortable and authentic in your hands. Plus, the black and red colours are a perfect addition if you have a red and black PC or console setup as well.
Sadly, this racing wheel isn’t without its cons either:
- You won’t be able to use this racing wheel for a PS3 / PS4, so you will have to look at another wheel on this list if you require one of either of those consoles.
This is still a great racing wheel, and absolutely one you must consider if you are looking for an affordable one for your PC or Xbox One console. But don’t just take my word for it; there are hundreds of Amazon reviews for this product, and a majority are very positive. Click below to see them and find out what other people have to say about this racing wheel:
7 – Thrustmaster TX
If you are on the market for a competent racing wheel, the TX by Thrustmaster is one that you must consider and the reason I say this is because of its high quality leather material and all the marvelous features it comes packed with.
One of the features which I really love is the adjustable rotation angle, with its maximum going up to 900 degrees. This is a lot of turning room, and very much suitable for truck simulator games where slow and long turning angles are most likely to be what you will encounter.
Here are some other the other great features this racing wheel contains:
- High quality and hand stitched leather allows you to have a sturdy and VERY comfortable grip on the steering wheel, and it will be highly durable too, meaning that it won’t break off anytime soon.
- Has a dual-motor vibration feedback which will provide smooth and latency-free vibrations to give you a sense of immersion inside your racing games. It will be silent too, so you won’t hear the motors at work, and your immersion should hopefully not be ruined.
- Has Thrustmaster’s HEART (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) which will accurate and precise steering of your virtual vehicle, and there won’t be any loss mid-turn with the super-sensitive sensors. This is another reason why this racing wheel is a must have.
Now, we move on to the unfortunate drawbacks of this racing wheel:
- VERY expensive and is DEFINETELY not a budget-friendly racing wheel. If you are on a tight budget, you should look at some of the other racing wheels on this list.
- Not compatible with either a PS3 or PS4, so again, you will have to look at a racing wheel that IS compatible with a Sony console on this list.
- Some people may not like leather, and would prefer a wheel made of plastic or rubber instead.
Nevertheless, this is a superb racing wheel, and absolutely worth your consideration if you have the right amount of money. The features packed into it MORE than make up for the hefty price, and if you have a PC setup with a lot of racing games in your library, this is a must have peripheral for it.
There are hundreds of reviews for this racing wheel on Amazon, and almost all of them are very positive. Click below to see what other people’s thoughts are on this racing wheel:
8 – Fanatec CSL Elite
If you are on the market looking for a racing wheel that is highly realistic and full of amazing features for your PC or PS4, this is a product that you really must consider. The reason I say this is because of the large amount of personal customisation and tuning you can make with this racing wheel.
One feature which I really do love, and one which I think you will love too, is the RMP LED lights on the base and an LED strip on the wheel. The RMP LED on the base will allow you to easily see what the revs are on your virtual vehicle and to help you change gears at the perfect time.
The LED strip on the top of the wheel helps you to tune your wheel settings. You will be able to change settings such as the strength of the force vibration feedback, the steering angle and even the brake sensitivity. You will be able to save your preferred settings to 5 different profiles and quickly change between them.
You can make specific settings for a particular game, and quickly change to those personal settings whenever you play that very game. This is one of the reasons why this is a must have racing wheel.
Here are some other features of this racing wheel that you may like:
- Has programmable buttons at the front of the wheel which can make navigating through menus easier and will save you the hassle of doing this with a controller, and if you use this wheel with a PC, you will be able to map these buttons to do whatever you’d want them to.
- Comes with a table clamp which will allow to… well, clamp this racing wheel to a table or desk. By doing this, you will be able to use this racing wheel much easier than you would if you had it on your lap or simply placed on your table.
- Wheel has a realistic diameter of 30cm, or 11.81 inches, which makes the size and looks of this wheel very authentic and realistic. Also has leather grips which will make the wheel very comfortable and easy to hold.
And now, we move on to the drawbacks of this racing wheel:
- Very expensive; this is a PROPER racing wheel, and if you are on a budget, you may be better off looking at cheaper wheels on this list.
- You won’t be able to use this racing wheel with an Xbox One, so look elsewhere if you want a racing wheel for that console.
Nevertheless, this is an amazing racing wheel and well worth your consideration if you are looking for a feature-filled racing wheel. While there aren’t that many reviews for this product on Amazon, almost all are very positive. Click below to see them and find out what people have to say about this racing wheel:
9 – Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer
Definitely the most unique looking racing wheel on this list, the TS-PC Racer racing wheel by Thrustmaster is a great consideration if you are looking for a competent racing wheel for your PC. The reason I say this is because this product has a load of amazing features that I know you will love.
One of my favourite of these features is the amount of flexibility you can have with the amount of wheel rotation. You can have a short and zippy 270 degree rotation to a large and sluggish 1080 degree rotation. This amount of flexibility can allow you to use this racing wheel with just about any racing or driving game on the market right now. This is one of the things that makes this wheel so convenient and a must have.
Here are some other features that you will love about this product:
- The steering wheel is designed so that it is comfortable for you to hold for long game durations. Perfect if the games you play are like real races where you’re racing on a track for a good few hours.
- The gear paddle shifters are made of polished aluminum, so they will be very durable and won’t be prone to snapping. Great if you are a little hard on the gears as they will be less likely to break than paddles made from different materials.
- 6 programmable buttons which you can map to whatever you desire. You can use them to easily navigate through menus, or to call in for a pit stop during a race; the choice is entirely up to you.
- Motor inside the base provides the racing wheel with more enhanced feedback than other racing wheels on the market. You will have more accuracy and precision with this wheel than others, and this is just another reason why this is a must have product that you will love. The motor is silent too, so it won’t break your racing immersion.
However, even this seemingly perfect racing wheel has a few cons that you should know about:
- Can’t be used with a console of any kind. This is a purely PC racing wheel, so if you want one for your PS4 or Xbox One, you should look at another on this list.
- This is a very pricey racing wheel, so you will have to look at a cheaper alternative if you are low on money and are looking for a wheel for your racing games.
Looking past these drawbacks, however, and what we have is a very technological racing wheel that any professional virtual racer will adore. With the features it comes packed with, and the unique shape of the wheel, this is a must have racing wheel that you need if you particularly enjoy racing games on your computer.
But don’t just take my word for it; there are a few reviews for this on Amazon, and a majority of them are very positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about this racing wheel, click below:
10 – Speedlink Drift O.Z.
The final racing wheel on this list is going to be the Drift O.Z. by Speedlink. This is a racing wheel that you must consider if you are on the market looking for an affordable one for your racing games, and I say this because this is by far the cheapest and most affordable racing wheel on this list. If you are on a budget, this is the must have racing wheel for you.
One of my favourite things about this wheel, not including its affordability, is the amount of programmable buttons it has at the front. You will be able to navigate through the game’s menus with ease. Plus, you will be able to map these buttons to do whatever you want them to do. Want a quick button to call into the pits for a pit stop? You can do this using one of these buttons.
Here are some other positives and features about this wheel that you may like:
- Comes with 2 pedals for braking and accelerating. The pedals also have a foot rest at the front of them to give your feet a spot to easily rest on and to be ready to slam onto the brakes as you approach a tight corner.
- Also comes with an easy to use gear stick to allow you to change gears just like you would with a real car.
- Product has suckers on the bottom which you can use to stick it to a surface and secure it in place. If you use a glass desk or table to play your games, this will be a perfect surface to stick this racing wheel onto.
- Wheel has rubber grips to allow you to have a tight and secure grip on the wheel. You won’t find your hands slipping off of it during an intense race, which is the last thing you need while defending your pole position.
And now we move on to the unfortunate drawbacks of this product:
- The suckers replace clamps, so if your table surface isn’t made of glass, you may have trouble securing this racing wheel in place, and may need to improvise with this.
- There are many reviews which say that this racing wheel doesn’t play well with modern racing games, which may be an inconvenience for some.
Nevertheless, this is a great budget racing wheel, and while the reviews on Amazon are very balanced with each star, the majority of them are pretty positive. Click below to see what people think about this racing wheel:
And with that, we’ve reached the end of this post. Thank you so much for reading, and I hope that you’ve found a racing wheel that you like the look and sound of with this article. If you have any questions, please don’t afraid of speaking your mind down in the comments section below.
Have an awesome day!