A printer is one of the most helpful and useful peripherals you can have for your PC. While one isn’t required to actually use a computer, they ARE however necessary if you want to have a physical copy of whatever is on your computer. Do you have a Word or Excel document that you want a physical copy of? A printer can “print” out that document on a piece of paper to allow you to hold that document in your hand.
Looking for the best printer can be pretty difficult if you don’t know what you want to get. However, it can be even MORE challenging as even the cheapest printers available on the market can cost around £40 to £50; they CERTAINLY aren’t budget-friendly, so you will need to be very sure you know what you are getting before you go ahead with the purchase.
How to Choose a Printer?
In order to properly buy a printer for yourself, you will need to consider a few things about you, your computer and what you will ultimately do with it before making the ultimate decision in purchasing one of these bulky peripherals.
Purchasing a peripheral for your computer is very important, especially when it is one such as a printer. You will be using that for printing out important documents, or – with special “all-in-one” printers – you might want a scanner included to allow you to scan physical writing or drawing into your computer.
Here are things you will need to consider before making a purchase for one of these special appliances:
1: What Kind of PC User Are You?
The type of PC user you are is a big deciding factor for whatever printer you will need. If you are just a casual PC user who won’t do professional printing, then you will be better off with a cheap inkjet printer. The ink won’t be as expensive as other printers’ ink, and you won’t have to worry about additional features or performance either.
If, on the other hand, you are printing on a more professional and frequent level, it will be more suitable for you to have a printer that is capable of printing out and / or scanning multiple documents at once. Though these printers are generally more expensive, they will be far more effective than the kinds of printers that a casual user would use.
2: What Is Your PC Running?
The hardware and operating system (OS) your computer is running are another thing you will have to look into before purchasing a printer. Before you make the investment, check that your computer is compatible with the printer, such as the OS the computer has.
If you don’t have a Windows PC, and are rocking a Linux or a Mac computer instead, you will also need to take this into consideration and check that the printer is compatible with any of these computers you are using as well.
3: How Much Money Are You Willing to Spend?
The final factor that you will have to take into account is essentially how much money you are thinking of spending for a printer. If you are on a tight budget and are unable to buy something over a fixed price, then of course you will be limited to a couple of printers.
You may have quite a lot of money, however, then you will be able to buy whatever printer you need without any worries or limitation on the cost.
Of course, whatever printer you buy is ENTIRELY down to you in the end. I just hope that this has given you an idea on what you will need to consider before going through with the final decision and buying a printer.
With that out of the way, let’s get to it!
1 – Epson Expression Premium XP-900 All-in-One Inkjet Printer
We start of this list with the Expression Premium XP-900 all-in-one printer by Espon. This printer is great for you to consider if you are on the market looking for a decent all-in-one printer and the reason I say this is because this printer is wireless. You will be able to find a good spot for it far away from your computer and won’t have to worry about any cable restrictions.
One of my favourite features of this printer is the built in LCD screen. This allows you to easily navigate through the printer’s features, and makes printing, scanning or copying photos and documents incredibly simple and easy to do. Even the most inexperienced of printer users should be able to use this printer with ease.
If that wasn’t enough, you will love that the printer:
- Can print in sizes up to A3, but will however be able to scan and copy sizes up to A4, so if you have a piece of paper bigger than A3, you won’t have to worry about any limitations or problems in scanning it to the printer.
- Has its own Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi direct embedded into it, allowing you to print and scan with or without using a network, making wireless printing and scanning easy for you to do.
- Using the special Espon Connect iPrint App, you will be able to print and scan documents and pictures wirelessly using your smartphone or tablet. This can save you the trouble of turning on your computer just to do this task as you will be able to instantly do it with your phone in your pocket or tablet on your table.
- Uses Espon’s Claria Ink which produces crisp and clear text documents and pictures from this printer. You will be able to have high quality text documents and pictures with this printer.
Unfortunately, all things have cons; here are the downsides for this printer:
- The XP-900 printer doesn’t have a touchscreen LCD, so you will have to press physical buttons to navigate through the features on the screen.
- This is a very costly printer, so if you are on a tight budget you may want to look for a cheaper alternative.
Nevertheless, this printer has quite a lot going for it. In fact, there are hundreds of reviews on Amazon, and almost all of them are positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about this printer, click below:
2 – Samsung Xpress M2026W Laser Printer
If you are on the market looking for an affordable laser printer that doesn’t make too much noise, this is a printer that you must consider. I say this because this product prints paper at a very quiet level of sound, which makes this printer a great choice if you want to print in a quiet environment and need a printer which won’t draw too much attention to itself.
One of my favourite features of this printer is the in-built NFC, or near-field communication, technology it has. This allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to print off important documents or images, and can save you time and effort rather than from doing it from your computer.
Here are some other features that this printer has that you may like:
- The printer can print around 20 pages per minute, a useful feature if you need a lot of papers to be printed at once in a short amount of time.
- This product is a laser printer, so it will print out high quality text and at a much faster rate than other kinds of printers. This printer is very suitable for you if you need picture-perfect, sharp black text on your documents.
- With its NFC technology, you will be able to use this printer with your phone or tablet, saving you time and effort from logging into your computer and doing it from there. This is another reason why this printer is very much a must have.
- For a laser printer and the features it contains, this is a very good-valued printer on the market. Considering that laser printers are usually more expensive than say inkjet or any other type of printer, this is yet another reason why this printer is a must have.
Sadly, even this printer has its drawbacks:
- Laser cartridges are usually more pricey than inkjet cartridges, so when you run out of toner powder, you will end up paying more for more toner powder than you would for ink.
- This printer isn’t an all-in-one like other printers on this list, so if you need something to scan or copy a particular document or picture, you will have to look elsewhere.
- The printer tends to jam if you put in too many pieces of paper inside it, so you will need to be careful to make sure that you don’t stack too many pieces of paper at once.
Although it has its drawbacks, this is a very decent laser printer, and very must worth your consideration if you are looking for a printer capable of printing out multiple sheets at once. There are many reviews on Amazon which have given this printer 5 stars; click below to check out what people have to say about it:
3 – Canon PIXMA MG5750 All-in-One Inkjet Printer
The PIXMA MG5750 by Canon is a great all-in-one printer, and one that you must consider if you are on the market looking for one. The reason I say this is because this printer was made by a renowned printer company, and because its very affordable and won’t cost you an arm and a leg to buy.
One of my favourite features about this printer is the on board LCD screen and large, easy to read buttons which can give you total control of the printer, and to navigate through all the features it has, from printing to scanning and copying documents and pictures.
If that wasn’t enough, here are other things you may like about this product:
- The printer is wireless and uses Wi-Fi, so you won’t have to worry about any pesky wires tangling or tripping you up, NOR will you have to worry about finding space next to your computer for it as it can be placed practically ANYWHERE inside your home.
- Uses Canon’s FINE technology which can drastically improve the image quality, stability and gradation expression of the final print of either a document or a picture. This is a big consideration if you want better quality prints compared to other printer companies on the market.
- Using the Canon Print App, you will be able to use your smartphone or tablet to print documents or pictures without the need of a computer. This can help you save time and effort of turning on your computer just to scan something; you will easily be able to do it on your couch with your phone or tablet.
- The printer can use Wi-Fi Direct, which gives the printer its own additional network that your mobile devices can connect to and use to send documents and images for the printer to print out. This also can save you time and effort of doing this from your computer, and can allow you to use the product without the need of an internet connection. This is just another reason why you should consider this printer.
Now we move on to the cons of this product:
- The printer is a little flimsy, so you will have to take extra care when using it.
- The paper inside the printer can easily get jammed, which while this can be avoided if you don’t stack too many sheets in the tray at once, still isn’t a convenient thing for many people.
- The speed at which the printer prints out paper is a little slow, which might not be too much trouble for some, for others, however, this could be an inconvenience.
Nevertheless, this is a very good product, and looking past the drawbacks there is a lot going for it. Many people on Amazon feel the same, in fact, and there are quite a few positive reviews there. Click below to see what other people have to say about this printer:
4 – Epson Expression Premium XP-640 All-in-One Inkjet Printer
The 2nd Epson printer, and ANOTHER Expression Premium printer at that, is going to be the XP-640. This is another great product by Espon, and another serious contender up for your consideration if you are looking for a great all-in-one wireless inkjet printer.
A cheaper alternative to its XP-900 counterpart, this printer is better suited for you if you are on more of a budget and are looking for an affordable all-in-one printer that will get your printing and scanning needs done.
One of my favourite features on this printer, just like its counterpart, is the easy to use LED screen. However, unlike the XP-900, this one has a touchscreen instead of buttons. You will feel right at home and be more comfortable with this printer as we use touchscreens every day of our lives from smartphones and tablets, and not bulky buttons which the XP-900 has.
If that wasn’t enough, you will like the fact that this printer:
- Uses Epson Connect which can allow you to use the printer with your smartphone or tablet rather than just be restricted to your computer. You will be saved the time and effort of switching on your computer just to print or scan a document or image.
- Has dual paper trays to allow you to place extra pieces of paper ready to be printed off and turned into physical documents or pictures.
- Has fast and double-sided printing to save you time and paper with printing out important documents. You won’t have to worry about wasting paper or printing out on a tight schedule with this printer, which is just another reason why you should consider it.
- Cheaper than its XP-900 counterpart. This is the better consideration for you if you are on a tighter budget, but basically want a printer which does the same as the XP-900.
And now, we move on to the drawbacks of this printer:
- The fast print speed means that this printer will eat up sheets of paper, but more importantly ink, like it’s going out of fashion. You may end up having to buy a lot of ink and blank sheets of paper to make up for this.
As you can see by the pros, however, this printer has quite a lot going for it. In fact, there are more than a thousand reviews for it on Amazon, and a large majority of them are 5 stars. If you want to see what people have to say about this printer, click below:
5 – HP ENVY J6U67A 5546 All-in-One Inkjet Printer
The first HP printer on this list is going to be the Envy J6U67A 5546. This is a must have if you are in the market looking for an affordable inkjet all-in-one wireless printer made by a well-known and respectable company in the technology industry.
One of my favourite features of this printer is that it has an auto-deploying output tray. This keeps the pages from falling to the floor after printing, and can save you the hassle from having to pick them up afterwards. Plus, it won’t damage your fresh print either.
Here are some other features that you will like:
- Has built in Wi-Fi, so you will be able to print out and scan documents from the comfort of your couch using your smartphone or tablet, saving you the time and energy from doing this at a computer or from the printer itself.
- Has a touchscreen display which can make printing, scanning and copying with this printer super easy and simple for you.
- This printer has an optional quiet mode, so you will be able to use this printer in even the quietest of rooms and it won’t draw any attention to itself. This makes it a great consideration if you need to use this machine in hours where loud noises are taboo.
- Has a built-in photo tray which can let you print 10 x 15 cm photos in colour without you having to change the paper for it. This can save you time and effort, and just another reason why this printer is a must have if you are one who frequently prints in colour.
Nothing is perfect in the world, however; here are the drawbacks to this printer:
- The printer can print up to 12 pages per minute which, while this can be a good thing and quick for some, for others who need to be able to print out loads of pieces at once this could be too slow and ultimately an inconvenience.
Looking past the drawbacks, this is a brilliant printer, and a must have if you are looking for an affordable all-in-one printer; I know you will love this. While it only has 8 reviews on Amazon, they all have given it 4-5 stars with only a few minuscule drawbacks. Click below to check them out and see what they have to say:
6 – Brother HL-1210W Laser Printer
The HL-1210W by Brother has a very similar design to Samsung’s Xpress M2026W printer which we went through earlier on this list. However, this one is slightly cheaper, and the one you must consider if you are looking for an affordable laser printer capable of printing out high quality documents at an insane rate of speed.
One of my favourite features of this product is that it is able to carry 150 sheets of paper at once in the tray. This is a lot of sheets of paper, and it is one of the many things which makes this printer a must have for you. You will be able to print off a dozen pieces of documents with this printer and won’t have to refill it as much as other printers on the market.
If that wasn’t enough, you will love that this printer:
- Can connect to your computer with high speed USB 2.0 connection. You will be able to use this printer straight away from your computer, which is great if you have to print a lot of documents off at once, and cannot afford to waste any time.
- Has its own wireless network, which will allow you to print from your computer WITHOUT the need for a USB cable or any wires of some kind. This can enable you to place this printer somewhere inside your room or another part of your home and away from your computer. You won’t have to worry about any wire restrictions this way, and this is just another reason why this printer is a must have if you want to frequently print off a load of documents.
- Uses easy to replace cartridges which can be used on 1 thousand pages at a time. You can find these cartridges here. This ensures that you will be able to print off plenty of documents before the powder the machine uses runs out and needs to be replaced, and another reason why you will love this printer if you want to frequently print off stuff.
- Is very affordable and won’t cost you an arm and a leg to buy compared to other printers on the market. You will love what you will get with this printer, and the cheap price tag makes it a must have for you.
Of course, this printer isn’t without its cons:
- The Wi-Fi can take a bit of fiddling around to get it to work, and may not be as easy to set up as other printers on this list. This may be an inconvenience to some as you would want it to print flawlessly without any hassle, ESPECIALLY if time isn’t exactly on your side…
- The toner cartridges are considerably more expensive than inkjet printer cartridges, so if you are more strained for money, you may want to look at a cheaper alternative.
This printer has a lot going for it if you look past the bad stuff, nevertheless. There are quite a lot of reviews for it on Amazon, and a majority of them have rated this printer quite positively. If you want to see what other people have to say about this printer, then click below:
7 – Samsung SL-C430 Colour Laser Printer
If you are on the market looking for a laser printer which uses colour rather than be stuck with just plain old black, which has the ability to print out coloured documents at a pretty quick rate of 4 papers per minute, this is a printer which you must consider. I say this because as this is a coloured laser printer, you will have crisp and detailed coloured documents the same way as you would with black and white documents.
One of my favourite features that this printer has is the ability to let you tap your smartphone on the printer, and you will automatically get Samsung’s free Mobile Print App installed directly to your phone. This will then allow you to print wirelessly using your phone instead of your computer. Just this feature alone is a reason why this printer is a must have for your printing needs.
If that wasn’t enough, you will like that this printer comes with:
- A wide range of connectivity options; such as USB 2.0, Ethernet; Wi-Fi Direct and LAN. You have a number of options to choose how you want to connect your computer to this printer from, and this amount of flexibility is just one of the reasons why I think you will love this printer.
- This printer can support a LOT of computer Operating Systems; from Windows 2003 all the way up to 10. There’s even Max and Linux OS support as well. This can allow practically ANY computer made within the last 15 years to use this printer, and this wide level of support is another nifty feature that this printer has, and one which I know you will find convenient.
- High yield toner which can print using up to 1,500 pages. You won’t have to replace the toner cartridge until after a LOT of sheets of paper have been printed, and this can save you a lot of money AND boost your productivity as well.
- Contains Samsung’s ReCP technology which produces smooth images and crispier text than other commercial laser printers. Furthermore, it also has Smart CMS which can improve the quality of mobile printing by automatically adjusting the image which enhances the sharpness while removing white gaps. These 2 technologies coupled together make this printer a must have, and another reason why I think you will love this printer.
And of course, here are the drawbacks of this product:
- It can only print black and white paper at around 18 pages per minute, which is a little slower than other laser printers on this list. If you want to have fast printing in a short time span, and 18 sheets per minute isn’t quick enough, you may want to look at an alternative.
- Much pricier than the other laser printers on this list, but that is probably because this is a colour laser printer. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a cheaper laser printer and don’t need to bother with colour, then you might want to look at the other laser printers on this list instead.
No matter the cons however, this printer has quite a lot going for it, and it has plenty of features which I think you will like. There are quite a few reviews of it on Amazon, and a majority of them are positive. Click below if you wish to see what other people are saying about this printer:
8 – HP Officejet 4650 All-in-One Printer
Here is another all-in-one printer from a renowned company which I know you will love, and a must have if you are looking for a competent machine to print, scan and copy documents. The Officejet 4650 by HP is a great consideration for you, and I say this because it uses HP’s own Instant Ink which can be delivered to you when your printer runs out, and it is cheaper than other commercial printer ink out there.
One of my favourite features of this printer is the wireless feature. Just like many of the other printers on this list, you will be able to print and scan from the comfort of your smartphone or tablet; there won’t be any reason for you to use your computer or walk to the printer itself to do this. This is one of the reasons why this printer is a must have for you if you need something to print or scan some important documents or images.
If that wasn’t enough, you will like that this printer:
- Has an easy to use touchscreen which will allow you to easily print or scan with the touch of your finger or thumb.
- Has an automatic document feeder to tackle multi-page situations. This will make circumstances where you will have to print off a lot of sheets of paper super easy for you.
- Can automatically print on both sides of the paper, which can ultimately save you paper and money. It’ll be good for the environment too as less paper will be used.
- Has an optional quiet mode which can allow this printer to perform its actions without making too much noise and drawing attention to itself. This is great if you were planning on getting a printer to use in a room which needs the utmost silence, or if you need to print in hours where too much noise is an offense.
And now we move on to the drawbacks of this product:
- This is a very pricey printer, so if you are looking for a more affordable printer you may want to take a look at the cheaper alternatives on this list.
- There are a few reviews where people are receiving the printer with a 2 pin plug which isn’t used in some countries, particularly the UK. You may want to get a 3 pin plug adapter if you like in the UK or any other area that uses 3 pin plug sockets just in case, or look into an alternative to save you this hassle altogether.
Nevertheless, this printer has quite a lot going for it. In fact, there are a few reviews on Amazon which have given this printer 5 stars. Click below to see what they have to say about it:
9 – Epson WF-7720 DTWF All-in-One Inkjet Printer
Now we move on to another printer by Epson on this list, and perhaps the biggest printer on this list as well; the WF-7720DTFW is a great all-rounder all-in-one printer for your printing and scanning needs. I believe you should consider this printer because it offers flexible wireless solutions, and it should be right up your alley because of this; practically every device we use in this day and age is wireless, so this should be no exception to you.
Another feature of this printer that I really love is the flexibility of the cartridges it uses. Rather than being restricted to one size only, this printer can take many different sizes, with the highest possible size having a yield of 2,200 pages at a time. Not only is this a lot of pages the ink will be able to print on, but the flexibility of the cartridge sizes will allow you to have control on how much ink you want inside the printer; it could also help you to save money too.
If that wasn’t enough, you’ll like that this printer comes with:
- Multiple wireless solutions to allow you to connect to this printer using all kinds of methods, such as Wi-Fi, Direct, NFC and Scan-to-Cloud. You will have the power to choose whatever wireless solution you want to use with this printer.
- Fast printing speed for both black and colour, which are 18 and 10 pages per minute respectively. This printer is perfect for you if you want to print out multiple documents at one, no matter if they need to be in colour or just plain old black.
- An easy to use touchscreen which makes it very easy for you to use the options and settings with the touch of a finger. This will make it easy for practically anyone to use this printer.
- Uses Epson’s DURABrite Ultra Ink which creates sharp, long-lasting and robust documents, and is also quick drying, which means that you won’t accidentally smudge the ink when it exits out of the printer. This special ink is just another reason why this printer is a must have.
And here are the cons of this printer:
- This printer is quite large and bulky, so if you are looking for a small and compact printer that will fit nicely on a small table or desk, you may want to look at another one rather than this one.
Ignoring its large size, this printer is a very competent inkjet all-in-one, and very much a printer that I think you will love. There are only a few reviews for it on Amazon, but almost all of them are very positive. Click below to see them:
10 – HP Officejet Pro 6230 Printer
The last printer on this list isn’t like any of the others; it’s not an inkjet printer, nor is it even a laser or an all-in-one printer. No, the Officejet Pro 6230 made by HP is a pure old school printer, and although it isn’t as unique as the others, it is still a worthy printer packed with some neat features, and one that I think you will love and should consider if you are on the market for a basic old school printer.
The reason I say this, and one of my favourite features of this printer, is the large paper tray capable of carry up to 225 pages. This is very handy as you won’t have to reload the tray until after a lot of prints, and you will have some space to put any spare blank sheets of paper you may have.
Here are some other things that you will love about this printer:
- By far the cheapest printer on this list, this printer is a must have for you if you are low on money and only want the most affordable and basic printer on the market.
- Quick print speed of 18 pages per minute in black and 10 per minute in colour. This will allow you to print off multiple documents in a short time spam, which is perfect if you have to print off some documents for a number of people.
- Using the HP ePrint app, you will be able to wirelessly use this printer and print out documents and pictures from your smartphone or tablet.
- The printer turns itself off automatically when it is not being used, which can help you to save money on electricity and energy.
Even this basic, old school printer has its drawbacks which you may need to consider:
- The printer can be a bit noisy, so if you were planning on using a printer in a quiet environment, you may want to consider one of the quieter ones on this list.
- If the printer is printing loads of pages at once, the paper may overshoot the ramp and fall to the floor, so you will need to supervise it when you are doing multiple prints.
Overlooking the cons, however, this is a pretty decent printer for the price and lack of uniqueness, and one which is worthy of your consideration. A word of warning, however; the reviews on Amazon are a flurry of 5 star and 1 star reviews. If you want to see what other people have to say about this printer, click below:
And there we have it! Thank you ever so much for reading, and I really hope you enjoyed this post. I hope that I have helped you in some way to find a printer worthy of your home or business building, or one that you just generally enjoy.
If you have any questions, please don’t be afraid of dropping a comment down below in the comment section, and please be sure to check out my other “best of” posts for controllers, racing wheels and keyboards as well. 🙂
Have an awesome day!