Someone will most likely buy a pair of headphones when their speakers are either broken, don’t produce sound good enough to the standard of that person’s tastes, or when portability is a main part of a person’s lifestyle as the bulkiness of typical external speakers will prevent you from carrying them around easily.
When you browse the market in search for the best headphones for your computer, tablet or smartphone, you will most likely come across 3 different types of headphones – wireless, closed-back and open-back. Each type offers different advantages and disadvantages, and your final decision on which one you will get will depend on the kind of quality you want your music to be, and whether you want the headphones to have noise canceling or not.
If you are worried that you may not find the right one for yourself, don’t be! I will be going through the highest rated headphones from each of the 3 categories to help you find out which one is the most efficient and least likely to fail you. But before we get into the main event, I’m going to guide you through with a few things first to help you understand how you will ultimately choose the right pair of headphones for yourself.
How to Choose a Pair of Headphones?
In order to find the pair of headphones that best suit you, you will need to consider and acknowledge a few things first before spending your valuable money on buying some. I will go through these “things” to help you out with this, and all I want you to do is to ask yourself which one will be the right one for you.
So, without further interruption, let’s get to it!
1: Understand The Kinds of Headphones There Are
Earlier, I spoke about there being 3 different types of headphones – wireless, closed-back and open-back. Each of these types have their pros and cons which you will need to know about to help you round up your desired headphones into a single category to make purchasing one a little easier for you.
Let’s get into the advantages and disadvantages of these 3 categories of headphones:
1 – Wireless
Wireless headphones are, of course, wireless, meaning that there won’t be any pesky wires for you to worry about. Wires getting tangled with into all sorts of impossible knots and bows are one of many of our “1st world problems”, so eliminating wires entirely can be very convenient for some. Furthermore, their small size and lack of spacious wires make wireless headphones VERY portable, even more so than wired ones.
Sadly, wireless headphones must be powered by batteries, so every now and then you will need to replace the dead batteries with new ones. Getting yourself a set of rechargeable batteries should be your first port of call if you want to save yourself the money and hassle of going down to the local shop and getting yourself a pair of batteries just for your headphone.
As well as the battery nuisance, wireless headphones are not as durable as their wired counterparts, and even the slightest bump or thump could cause some damage to the inside circuitries. Not only that, but wireless headphones also have their range and obstruction limits. Go too far from the receiver, or place a large object in the way of the receiver, and the headphones won’t work as effectively.
If you want to get yourself a pair of wireless headphones, you will need to make sure you have a set of batteries – preferably rechargeable ones – on hand and make sure you don’t drop them or have them too far away from their receiver, otherwise the sound quality may not be that great.
2 – Closed-Back
Closed-back headphones have the outer part of the headphone cups closed and concealed so that sound can’t escape from the headphones, and sound can’t creep in inside the headphones either. If you are looking for noise canceling headphones, as in headphones that don’t allow you to hear noise from the outside world that may distract you from listening to your awesome music, then closed-back headphones are the way to go.
The great thing with closed-back headphones is that other people can’t hear what you are listening to and judge you. You can keep your self-esteem and confidence intact with closed-back headphones, and listen to whatever you want without getting some funny looks from people on the commute home from work or school, for instance.
Of course, there IS a catch to these specific types of headphones… For example, sound won’t be able to escape, so the music and sounds you’re listening to will be very bassy and in your face (quite literally). If you are somebody who is sensitive to sound, you may get a headache or two from using closed-back headphones for a specific amount of time.
Furthermore, if you are using these in the summer, your ears may be screaming for you to take them off as the enclosure may get quite hot overtime. In the winter, sure, these will be perfect in keeping your ears warm and cozy, but in the summer… no thank you, madam. 😉
3 – Open-Back
And finally, we come to open-back headphones. These offer quite possibly the BEST sound you can ever get from headphones. The openness of the headphone cups won’t restrict the sound and make it bassy; instead, it will make it spread out and sound larger and more “open”. Because of this, the music and sound will sound like it’s right in the same room as you. People will sound like they’re speaking right behind your shoulder, making you naturally turn around and see nobody there. I personally have a pair of open-back headphones, and honestly it’s really amazing and I highly recommend you get yourself some as well, but the choice is entirely down to you.
Sadly, even these aren’t too good to be true, and their have their own little drawbacks that you should know. First of all, the openness of the cups won’t block out sound from the outside world as well as closed-back, so if you are in a loud office or general environment, you will hear everything going on around you and the music or whatever you are listening to won’t block the world out.
Furthermore, other people will be able to hear what you are listening to as the openness of the headphone cups won’t enclose the sound well enough, and may judge you for your taste in music. If you are commuting and need a pair of headphones to listen to your music, open-back ones may not be your best choice as you will still hear what’s going on around you, and people will hear what you are listening to.
2: How Durable Do You Want the Headphones to Be?
The 2nd thing you will need to ask yourself is how durable you ultimately want your headphones to be. Do you spend all day listening to music or sound on your computer or smartphone and wish to use headphones frequently? You will be better off getting durable ones that can take a beating and won’t break within the first few months of you purchasing them.
If, on the other hand, you don’t spend too much of your time on these systems and only plan on using headphones for a couple of hours per day, you will be much better off saving yourself some money and getting a pair that aren’t so durable. Sure, they may be more likely to break than durable ones, but you will have saved money in getitng a cheap pair that simply does the job of allowing you to listen to music and general noise better than speakers.
In the end, however, this all depends on personal preference. If you want durable or non-durable headphones no matter how much time you spend using a keyboard, then that is completely fine… it’s your money you’re spending, after all – don’t let me stop you and force you to go with an option you aren’t 100% confident with.
3: How Much Money Are You Willing to Pay for Them?
Finally, the headphones you make your final decision on will ultimately come down to what your budget is and how much you are willing to spend on a pair of headphones. This is perhaps the most important thing you will need to consider as, in the end, this is YOUR hard-earned money that you will be spending on headphones.
You will need to ABSOUTELY be 100% confident that the headphones you will buy are the right ones for you, AND are within the price range you are the most comfortable with in paying out.
Once you are able to answer these questions and understand what you want in a pair of headphones, you are now ready to get the headphones that are right for you. We will do this so that we will go through 5 wireless headphones first, before moving on to closed-back and open-back headphones.
And with that, we’re now ready for the main event!
1 – Skullcandy Crusher
The first wireless headphone on this list is going to be the Crusher by Skullcandy. This is a pair of wireless headphones that you must consider because not only is it made by a highly renowned company in the headphone industry, but it also has a recharging USB cable which makes recharging the headphones super easy and hassle-free. Furthermore, the built-in bluetooth will allow you to connect and use these headphones with just about any bluetooth device in your possession; from your computer to your smartphone or tablet.
One of my favourite features of this pair of headphones is their lengthy battery life, which can be up to 40 hours at a time. With this lengthy battery life, you will be able to use these headphones for HOURS cord-free before you will need to reach for the charging USB cable and use these headphones as a wired pair for the meantime.
If that wasn’t enough, you will like that this pair of headphones has with it:
- A protective travel bag to allow you to put the headphones into to keep them save from harm’s way when you’re traveling around with them in your possession. This will keep them from getting damaged in your commute to work from home or vice versa.
- Has stereo haptic bass which delivers powerful bass to the headphones. This will make your listening experience much more exciting and unique as the bass will allow you to feel the thumping beats of your favourite songs.
- Noise isolating memory foam ear pads to keep noise isolated inside the headphones and to keep your ears warm as well. The added coziness you will get with these headphones, and the fact that noise will have a hard time escaping to give away your embarrassing tastes in music, are just one of the reasons why these headphones are a must have for you.
- A built-in microphone which you can use to communicate online with other people, and to talk to somebody on the other end of the mobile phone you are using with these headphones. This is yet another reason why these are so convenient for you.
Sadly, there are some drawbacks that these headphones have:
- These are pretty costly headphones, so you may need to look elsewhere if you are on a budget.
- The bluetooth may have some issues connecting properly, but this really does depend on the person. Technology has an annoying way of working perfectly for some, and going wrong in ALL sorts of ways for others…
Nevertheless, these are a wonderful pair of wireless headphones, and absolutely worth your consideration if you are in the market looking for a decent pair. But don’t take my word for it; there are hundreds of reviews for these headphones on Amazon, and a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about them, then click below:
2 – Sony MDR-ZX220BT
If you are in the market looking for an affordable pair of wireless headphones that is easy to connect to devices, this is a product that you must consider. The reason I say this is because of the NFC one-touch feature these headphones have. With this, you will simply have to only touch other devices that have the NFC (Near Field Communication) technology to immediately connect the headphones to. Plus, this pair won’t cost you an arm and a leg to buy.
One of my favourite features of these headphones are their swivel folding design. This makes them very easy to store when you are out and about as they can swivel flat to make packing them inside a bag or a pocket a lot easier for you. You will be able to take them anywhere with you, from your commute to work or home, to going to the local gym and using them with your smartphone.
If that sounded great to you, you will love that these headphones also have:
- 30mm dome drivers which makes the music and sound coming out of these headphones very dynamic and detailed to your ears. You will hear things in your favourite songs that other headphones may not make out as clearly.
- 8 hours battery life which can accommodate an entire day at work or at school. You will be able to use these headphones for the entire day at a time, and back at home you will be able to easily charge them with the included USB cable which you can simply plug into your computer and charge them overnight.
- A built-in microphone to make talking to your friends and family over the phone very straightforward, and to make communicating online in competitive games just as easily. This is yet another reason why these headphones are a must have for you.
- At a lightweight 130g, these headphones are very light, and thanks to their swivel design this will make packing them in your bag or pocket super easy and hassle-free.
Unfortunately, even these headphones have a few drawbacks to their name:
- Not all devices have NFC technology, so you will need to manually connect these devices to the headphones via their settings menus.
- Compared to other headphones on the market, the 8 hours for these isn’t really that long at all.
- While charging, they cannot be used, so you may have to charge them overnight while you are asleep to make the most out of them.
Looking past these cons, however, and we’ve got ourselves a marvelous budget pair of wireless headphones that you must consider if you are on a budget and need a pair for your smartphone, tablet or laptop. In fact, there are hundreds of reviews for these headphones on Amazon, and more than half are overwhelmingly positive. Click below if you want to see other people’s thoughts on this pair of headphones:
3 – Bose QuietComfort 35
These are another pair of headphones you should have as a consideration if you are looking for a competent pair from another renowned company in the industry, and money isn’t too much of an issue for you.
One of the things that really separate these headphones from the rest of the pack is the embedded “action button” which cycles through different intensities of the noise cancellation feature. With one press of the button, the noise cancellation will be extremely intense and the world around you will be absolutely silent to allow you to ONLY hear the sound from your headphones.
Clicking it again lowers the intensity and you will be able to hear SOME noise around you, but not much. One more press and the noise cancellation is completely turned off, and the world around you will be crystal clear. This feature is VERY special and it alone is enough for me to say that these headphones should be a consideration for you, if you have the funds for it, because it’s VERY expensive.
Here are some other features that you may like:
- These headphones are able to quickly connect to NFC devices, minimizing the need to connect the headphones to them via their settings menus.
- Headphones have a 20 hour wireless life and a 40 hour wired life with the additional audio cable, allowing you to be able to use these headphones for a very long time without any need for charging them.
- Using the Bose Connect app, you will be able to personalise and manage bluetooth connections via your smartphone or tablet. You will even be able to choose the level of noise cancellation from the app as well. This is yet another reason why these headphones are so convenient for you.
- The materials on the headphones make them very comfortable for you to wear and lightweight so that they are easy for you to carry and take around with you where ever you go. Furthermore, they will be very durable as well, and will be able to take a beating and still work for your listening needs.
Now, we move on to the unfortunate drawbacks of these headphones:
- These are VERY expensive headphones, and absolutely are not budget-oriented. If you are looking for a more affordable pair, check out the MDR-ZX220BT’s by Sony above this pair on the list.
- Devices that don’t have NFC won’t be able to easily connect to these headphones, so you will have to spend time and effort going through their settings menus to do this.
Looking past these drawbacks, and we have ourselves an awesome pair of wireless headphones packed with amazing features that you will really appreciate. There are about a hundred reviews on Amazon for these headphones, and a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see other people’s opinions on these headphones, click below:
4 – Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT
Sennheiser are highly regarded as one of the best headphone companies in the industry, and this wireless pair from them are definitely worth your consideration if you are currently looking for a competent pair of wireless headphones to use with your smartphone, tablet or PC.
One of my favourite things about these headphones, besides their sleek design and the company they are made by, is the easy to use controls mounted on the cups of the headphones. You will be able to easily adjust the volume and change tracks on your phone or tablet’s music playlist.
If that wasn’t enough, you will love that these headphones come with:
- With a swivel folding design, you will be able to swivel the cups to the side to make packing them up in a bag or pocket very easy. They also have a robust foldable headband design too so you will be able to squash them close together to further making packing them up a breeze.
- A carry pouch to make it easy for you to carry them around with you in. With their foldable and swivel design, it will be incredibly easy for you to take these headphones out with you everywhere. This is just one of the reasons why these are so convenient for you, especially if you like to travel a lot.
- Ear pads are covered in soft leather, so these headphones will feel very comfortable when you wear them. This comfort will ultimately allow you to listen to music for longer as your ears won’t feel uncomfortable.
- NFC technology which will allow them to quickly connect to other devices that have NFC technology with the simple touch of a finger or thumb. This will make connecting them to a device such as a smartphone or table very easy and hassle free.
Sadly, these headphones aren’t without their downfalls:
- Many users have stated that the ear cups are too small to fit entirely around their ears and leave them exposed.
- These are pretty costly headphones, and certainly not for you if you are on a budget.
Nevertheless, these are brilliant wireless headphones, and well worth your consideration. But don’t take my word for it; there are more than a hundred reviews for them on Amazon, and a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see the opinions of other people on these headphones, click below:
5 – Philips SHB3165BK/00
The final pair of wireless headphones are going to be the SHB3165BK/00’s by Philips. These are another great pair of affordable headphones and ones that you should consider if you are looking for a pair that won’t have a big effect on your bank account.
Like all the other wireless headphones on this list, these are able to connect to devices with one-touch NFC technology, which will make it very easy for you to connect these headphones to those same devices without having to do this via a settings menu.
Here are some other things these headphones have that you will like:
- Has 32mm dome drivers which delivers dynamic sound and solid bass. You will hear a lot of detail in your music and sound with these headphones, and the bass will be clear and detailed.
- Their swivel folding design will make it easy for you to store these headphones in a bag or into your pockets and take with you where ever you go. These are perfect headphones if you travel a lot and need good headphones for your phone or laptop, and a reason why they will be so convenient to you.
- Soft and breathable ear cushions will make these headphones very comfortable for you to wear. Because of this, you will be able to use these headphones for a long time without your ears getting strained.
- Has a closed type acoustic which blocks out sound from the outside world and provides good sound isolation. You will be able to use these headphones in a loud public area as the noise cancellation will allow you to listen to your music in peace.
Unfortunately, these headphones aren’t without their drawbacks:
- The build quality may not be up to the standard of some, but this all comes down to personal preference. They ARE affordable budget-based headphones, after all.
- The flashing bluetooth indicator is situated so that anybody wearing glasses while using these headphones may JUST about see them in their peripheral vision. This may become an inconvenience to some.
In conclusion, however, these are a very good pair of budget wireless headphones, and totally worth your consideration if you are in the market looking for this kind of pair. While there aren’t hundreds of reviews for this product on Amazon, a majority of the reviews ARE very positive. Click below to see what other people have to say about these headphones:
1 – Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Starting off the closed-back headphone section of this big list are going to be the ATH-M50x’s by Audio-Technica. These are a pair of headphones that you must strongly consider if you are on the market looking for headphones that are critically acclaimed and won’t cost you an arm and a leg to buy.
One thing that separates these from the rest of the closed-back headphones on the market is the collapsible design these headphones are built around. You will be able to bend the headphone cups up to the headband, which will allow you to easily store them in a case or bag for when you want to take them around with you somewhere; these are great headphones to consider if you travel around a lot.
If that wasn’t enough, you will like that these headphones also have:
- Detachable cables allow you to choose from 3 different length cables included with the headphones. This amount of flexibility is another reason why these headphones are so convenient and a must have.
- 45mm drivers with rare-earth magnets, which will provide the headphones with clear sound and a deep and accurate bass. You will really appreciate the quality of sound which will come out from these headphones.
- The design of the headphones don’t allow sound to escape in or out from the headphone cups, so you won’t hear any sound from the outside world, and sound that you are listening to won’t be heard from the outside world either.
- Critically acclaimed sonic performance which offers some of the best closed-back headphone sound on the market. Many people, from studio engineers to pro audio reviews have highly praised this aspect. There’s a high chance you won’t be disappointed in what these headphones have to offer you.
Sadly, these seemingly perfect headphones have a few drawbacks which need to be addressed:
- The black design is the cheapest out of all the colours. You will have to pay extra money if you want them in a different colour.
- To some people, these headphones may grip too tightly against their ears and cause them to stop using these after only a few hours or so of use. While this may depend on people’s head size and comfort threshold, this is still a little word of warning.
Nevertheless, these are a wonderful pair of closed-back headphones, and definitely a must have if you want one of the most critically acclaimed headphones on the market today. In fact, there are hundreds and hundreds of reviews for this product on Amazon, and almost all of them are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about them, click below:
2 – Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
Sennheiser makes its second appearance on this large list with their HD 380 Pro closed-back headphones. These are a pair of closed-back headphones that you must consider, and the reason I say this is not only because these are made by Sennheiser which are a highly renowned company in the headphone industry, but also becuase of how comfortable they are as well. You will be using these headphones for HOURS at a time, and this is only one of the reasons why these are so convenient and a must have for you.
One of my favourite features that these headphones contain is the increased sound pressure level compared to other headphones on the market. With up to 110dB, sound from these headphones will be very accurate and super reliable. Your songs and music will be incredibly clear, and it will sound like you are actually there, or it will sound like the instrumentas are playing right behind your shoulder.
Here are some other features these headphones have that I think you will love:
- Has a carry case included with the headphones which will allow you to store them into when you want to take them around with you where ever you go. If you like to travel a lot, these are a must have pair of headphones.
- With a lightweight design, you will hardly notice these headphones while you are wearing them, and this will allow you to use them for hours on end without them causing you any discomfort. Plus, it will make it easy for you to take them around with you everywhere you go as well.
- Has a closed circumaural design to prevent any outside sound from creeping in and prevents YOUR sound from creeping out either. Because of this, you won’t be disturbed by the outside world while listening to your music, and people won’t be able to hear your taste in music and give you funny looks either. This is just one of the reasons why these headphones are so convenient and a must have for you.
- Replaceable cable, so you will be able to easily replace it with another if something happens to it, like one of your dogs or other pets nibble through the cable or something. This will ensure you don’t have to fork out another £100+ for another pair of headphones JUST because the cable only was broken.
And now, we move on to the downfalls of these headphones:
- These are pretty costly, and aren’t the best option for you if you are on a low budget. Check out the K52 by AKG for a more affordable pair of closed-back headphones.
- The coiled cable may be too heavy and noisy when rubbed against yourself or something else to some.
Nevertheless, these are a superb pair of headphones, and absolutely worth your consideration. In fact, there are hundreds of reviews for them on Amazon, and a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. Click below to see what other people have to say about them:
3 – Oppo PM-3
If you are on the market looking for a pair of closed-back headphones that are very durable and offer a great listening experience, these are ones that you must consider. I say this because these headphones are very robust and can take a beating without showing any signs of damage. Plus, the combination of planar magnetic drivers and the closed-design of the headphones makes the sound quality really great, and minimizes the amount of noise you will hear from the outside world.
One of my favourite things about these headphones is how light they are. At around 300 grams in weight, these are by far one of the lightest closed-back headphones on the market today; they are definitely suitable for you if you are somebody who travels a lot and are in dire need of a pair of light headphones for your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
Here are some other things you may like about these headphones:
- Uses planar magnetic drivers, giving these headphones deep bass and clear treble. Any music or games you play using these headphones will sound very natural and balanced, giving you a sound experience you will really appreciate.
- Soft and comfortable ear pads allow you to use these headphones for longer hours without having to give your ears a break from any strain or discomfort.
- These headphones are built with robust and durable materials. They won’t get damaged or break on you, and they will still work after an accidental drop.
Now, we move on to the biggest drawback of these headphones:
- These are VERY expensive headphones, so if you are on a tight budget you may want to look at more affordable options, such as the K52 by AKG.
Looking past the hefty price, these are an amazing set of headphones that you must consider if you want some of the best sound ever from a pair of closed-back headphones. But don’t just take my word for it; these headphones have quite a lot of reviews on Amazon, and a majority are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other people have said about these headphones, click below:
4 – Shure SRH440
If you’re in the market for a pair of closed-back headphones that are affordable and easy to take around with you, then these are a pair that you must consider. The reason I say this is because these headphones have a collapsible design which will make it easy for you to put them inside a bag. Plus, they won’t cost you a lot of money to buy either.
One of my favourite features of these headphones are their specially optimised sound. Thanks to professional audio drivers, the sound from these headphones will be very detailed and clear. This is a perfect feature if you are an audiophile as these drivers will make these closed-back headphones sound as good as they can be.
Here are some other features of these headphones that you may like:
- Collapsible design to make for easy portability. You will easily be able to take these headphones with you on your travels to use with your laptop, smartphone or tablet.
- The coil cable is detachable, which you can change for another type of cable if you either don’t like the coiled design, or want a longer / shorter cable.
- Comes with a carry pouch which, when coupled with the collapsible design of these headphones, makes this pair perfect for taking around with you when you travel.
And now we move on to the downfalls of these headphones:
- The build quality isn’t very durable compared to others on the market. These headphones are pretty fragile and may get damaged or break if you accidentally drop them.
- Many people are complaining that these headphones are uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, particularly the headband at the top against their head as it seems to have no padding.
Looking past the fragile build and lack of headband padding, these are a great pair of affordable closed-back headphones, and a must have if you’re currently looking for a pair to take around on your commutes to work or school. In fact, there are many reviews on Amazon for these headphones, and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. Click below to see what other people have to say about them:
5 – AKG K52
The final pair of closed-back headphones on this list are going to be the K52’s by AKG. These are a must have if you’re looking for a pair of headphones that are very affordable and have a surprisingly durable build quality as well.
One feature that I really love about these headphones is their “one-size-fits-all” unique headband. They will automatically adjust to accompany your head size and removes the hassle of you adjusting it yourself. Furthermore, this eliminates the possibility of any delicate sizing mechanisms from suddenly breaking on you over time.
Here are some other features of these headphones that you may like:
- Headphones are built to last with their professional build quality, making them very durable and less likely to break on you if you accidentally drop them.
- Has professional sound drivers to give you clear and studio-quality sound to your music and games. You will really appreciate the quality of sound these headphones will give you.
- The ear pads on these headphones are replaceable, so if they get damaged in any way, you can simply buy another pair of ear pads rather than a new pair of headphones and save yourself money.
- The headband will automatically adjust to fit your head size, so you won’t have to worry about your head being too big or too small to fit these headphones.
Sadly, even these headphones have their drawbacks:
- The comfort of these headphones aren’t superb, and you may find yourself having to take them off after a few hours of use due to ear strain.
Nevertheless, for the price these are a brilliant pair of headphones, and absolutely worth your consideration if you are in the market for a closed-back set of headphones. But don’t just take my word for it; there are a lot of Amazon reviews for this pair of headphones, and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. Click below to see other people’s opinions on these headphones:
1 – Grado SR80e
Starting off the open-back headphone list are going to be the SR80e’s by Grado. These “on ear” headphones are highly worth your consideration if you’re longing for a pair of open-back headphones that you can use in the comfort of your own home, and deliver surprisingly great sound quality as well.
The uniqueness of these headphones are one of my favourite things about them; it’ll be hard to find another pair of “on ear” open-back headphones on the market, and this rarity makes these headphones almost one of a kind. If you’re the kind of person who wants to have better sounding headphones than closed-back ones, isn’t too bothered about sound leakage, AND prefer to have “on ear” rather than “over ear” headphones, then these should be your number 1 choice!
Here are some other things you may like about these headphones:
- These headphones have great sound for their price and compact design. The bass is clean and they will be able to play any genre of music without any sound problems.
- The openness of the headphone cups will make your music sound natural and detailed. You will be able to hear things in your favourite songs that wouldn’t be picked up by closed-back headphones.
- They are very affordable, especially when compared to many other open-back headphones on the market. You will appreciate the amount of money you’ll save with these headphones.
- These headphones have a sort of “retro” look that will make you feel nostalgic when you look at and use them, though this will depend on a lot of people.
And now we move on to the drawbacks of these headphones:
- These are “on ear” headphones which may not appeal to a lot of people.
- As they are open-back headphones, they will not provide sound isolation and as such noise will leak out a lot. They are definitely not for use on public transport.
- The materials of the ear pad are not as soft as other headphones on the market, and may feel “scratchy” against your ears.
Nevertheless, these are amazing headphones for the price and the sound they produce are phenomenal. But don’t just take my word for it; there are loads of reviews for them on Amazon, and the large majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. Click below to see what other people think of these headphones:
2 – Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Another pair of open-back headphones with high quality sound are going to be the DT 990 Pro’s by Beyerdynamic. While these DO leak a bit of sound and aren’t really suitable if you use public transport a lot, they are however extremely comfortable and will allow you to wear them of hours on end without any strain or discomfort in your ears; you must consider these if that’s what you’re looking for in a pair of headphones.
Their soft ear pads will not only give you the opportunity to wear them for hours on end, but they are also replaceable, saving you a lot of money if they get damaged in some way; you will only have to buy another set of ear pads rather then a new pair of headphones.
Here are some other things you will love about these headphones:
- Headphones are made with durable materials, so you won’t have to worry about them breaking if you accidentally drop them.
- Their spacious and open design will make your favourite songs sound very detailed and open. You will really appreciate the level of quality the sound from these headphones will be.
- The headband is made of steel and fits sturdily on top of your head. You won’t have to worry about it slipping off your head whenever you move around.
- Ear pads are soft and adjustable, giving you enough comfort to wear these headphones for hours on end without having to give your straining ears a break.
There’s only a few cons these headphones have:
- These are pretty pricey headphones. If you’re on a budget, these may not be the right ones for you.
- The sound leaks out from these headphones as they are open-back. Because of this, these aren’t the most suitable headphones to use in public spaces such as public transport or at your workplace.
Though they have a few drawbacks, these are still a marvelous pair of open-back headphones, and absolutely worth your consideration if you’re looking for a comfortable set of headphones to use for hours on end at home. If you’re still unsure, you will be relieved to know that there are over 150 reviews for this product on Amazon, and the majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about these headphones, click below:
3 – Sennheiser HD 598SR
If you want a durable pair of open-back headphones made by a renowned company that creates headphones which deliver studio-quality sound, these should be one of your top considerations. That’s because Sennheiser is a highly regarded company when it comes to developing headphones with some of the clearest and most detailed sound in the industry; you won’t be disappointed when it comes to their headphones.
One thing which separates these headphones from the rest is their durability. I can’t recall the number of times I’ve dropped my pair on the floor or banged them hard against my desk (either accidental or from rage after dying repeatedly in video games). But every time I had done so, I’ve never noticed any changes to the quality of sound – which is really detailed and clear; with these, you will hear so much stuff in your favourite songs that other headphones in the market wouldn’t bring out otherwise – or any signs of physical damage either.
Here are some other features these headphones have:
- Comfortable ear pads which won’t put too much strain on your ears, allowing you to use these headphones for hours on end without having to take a break from them.
- These headphones are VERY light; you’ll hardly notice them resting on your head, and this further adds to the lengthy amount of time you’ll be able to use these headphones without taking a break or two.
- Comes with a detachable cable to allow you to choose a preferred size of a cable, AND will save you money if only the wire breaks as you won’t need to buy another pair of these headphones. In addition, as these headphones are for studio use by default, the headphones also come with a 3.5mm jack to be able to use them with a headphone port on your PC.
- Compatible with not just a computer, but with a smartphone, tablet and external speakers as well. You’ll really appreciate the amount of flexibility these headphones have.
Unfortunately, even these seemingly perfect headphones have a few downfalls:
- These headphones are pretty expensive, so if you’re on a budget, you may be better off finding another pair of headphones.
- If your phone or tablet has a protective case, the 3.5mm jack may not fit properly in the headphone port. You may have to take off the phone / tablet’s case if you wish to use these headphones with them.
These are a wonderful pair of headphones, and absolutely worth your consideration if you want headphones and don’t mind any sound leakage. In fact, there are loads of reviews for these on Amazon, and the majority are extremely positive. If you want to see what other people have to say about these headphones, then click below now:
4 – Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X
Audio-Technica makes their second appearance on this series of lists with their ATH-AD700X open-back headphones. With their lightweight honeycomb aluminum casting and automatically adjusting headband to accompany a wide range of head sizes, these are a pair of headphones that you must consider if you want a pair that’ll not only sit lightly and comfortably on your head, but is also flexible and can fit on a large number of people.
Their lightweight design and fully open-air headphone cups will put no pressure of some sort on your ears, which will allow you to wear them for hours on end without having to give your straining ears a break. If you’re somebody who listens to music or plays video games for hours on end, these headphones will be very convenient for you.
Here are some other reasons why these are a must have pair:
- Has newly designed 53mm drivers which reproduce clear treble and mid range. Your favourite songs and video games will sound far more detailed and vibrant than they would from other headphones in the market.
- Ear pads are very comfortable and durable. You will appreciate how comfortable and long-lasting these headphones are.
- Lightweight materials make these headphones very light. You’ll hardly notice these headphones sitting on your head, and this is just a reason why they are so convenient for you.
- Automatically adjusting headband allows these headphones to accompany the size of anybody’s head. No matter how big or small you are, these headphones will fit you nicely.
And now we move on to the drawbacks of these headphones:
- Like the others open-back headphones, these are pretty costly, and not suitable for you if you’re on a budget.
- As they are open-back headphones, they will leak sound if you have the volume up high enough. They may not be suitable for you if you use public transport a lot.
Nevertheless, these open-back headphones are a must have for you, especially if you want a pair of headphones to use in the comfort of your own home with your PC or tablet. Even though there are less than 50 reviews for this product on Amazon at the time of writing this, the majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. Click below if you want to see other people’s thoughts on these headphones:
5 – Behringer HPS3000
Serving as the last pair of open-back headphones are going to be the HPS3000’s by Behringer. If your budget is very tight, and you’re looking to test the waters of open-back headphones, then these are the headphones for you. With their design made out of durable materials to allow these headphones to take a beating without breaking, and their highly affordable price, these are just a few reasons why these headphones should be one of your biggest considerations.
Boasting high resolution cobalt capsules contained inside the ear cups, these super affordable headphones deliver studio-level sound to your favourite songs and video games. With an ultra-wide frequency response and high definition bass, these are just a few of my favourte things about these headphones.
Here are some other things you may like about this pair of headphones:
- Has an oxygen-free copper wire which prevents tangling and is very durable. You won’t have to worry too much about the wire breaking on you, nor will you have to spend any time wrestling with knots or tangles.
- The headband is ultra comfortable, allowing you to wear these headphones for hours on end.
- These headphones are extremely affordable. You will be able to buy these headphones no matter how tight your budget is. They are a must have if you want to test the waters of open-back headphones, and not spend too much money on a pair.
- These headphones are very small, and thus they won’t take up too much space in your work area if you set them down.
Unfortunately, even these affordable headphones have a few drawbacks:
- As these are very affordable and “cheap” headphones, the sound quality from these headphones won’t be on par with, for example, Sennheiser’s 598’s or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X’s.
- The cord of these headphones could be longer. You may find yourself have to sit close to your computer while using these.
For their price, however, these headphones are amazing and definitely worth your consideration if you’re in the market for affordable open-back headphones to test the waters of that headphone type. In fact, there are hundreds of reviews on Amazon for these headphones, and the majority of them are very positive. Click below to see what other people have to say about them:
And there we have it; thank you ever so much for reading this post! If you have ANY questions you’d like to ask me, or have your own pair of headphones that you feel should be on this list that I’ve missed, feel free to comment in the comments section down below.
Have an awesome day!