Getting yourself the best gaming keyboard for your beloved gaming rig is very important; after all, how on Earth would you be able to use your computer properly and even play video games without a keyboard accompanying your mouse? A keyboard is fundamentally the most important peripheral for your computer, both in gaming and in general use.
For gaming, the keyboard is used for the movement and doing advanced actions of your character, while the mouse is purely for looking around and performing basic actions such as punching or using a weapon in certain games. For general use, however, a keyboard can give you access to practically the entirety of the computer. You will be able to open icons, run programs and even turn off or restart your computer without the need for a mouse.
Finding the right keyboard for your computer setup, be it for pure hardcore gaming only, or for simple general computer use like web surfing or document making, is very crucial, and depends on a few things which we are just about to get into before we start with the keyboards.
How to Choose a Gaming Keyboard?
Getting the right keyboard for your gaming needs depends on not just whether you like the look of the keyboard, but also the amount of lighting on the keyboard, and the size of the keyboard as just a few examples of what we will get into. Remember that before you spend your valuable money on a keyboard, you will need to consider with yourself about these key steps to ensure that you have a good understanding of what you want in a keyboard.
So without further ado, let’s get into these steps!
1: Backlight vs No Backlight
A keyboard is one such peripheral which you will be looking at for a majority of the time you are on your computer. While you won’t be looking at it ALL the time of course, you WILL every now and then to see if the key you are about to independently press is the right one – this, of course, depends if your hand-to-eye and memory is up to scratch…
Now, the choice is entirely up to you and all down to preference – you can either have a stock black keyboard with no backlight and be done with it, OR you can have a keyboard with a bright and uniquely-coloured backlight and spend countless hours admiring the pretty colours.
Whatever you choose will all be down to preference as neither one will offer an advantage or disadvantage to your gaming performance – a keyboard with a backlight just looks nice, and will match up beautifully if you have a colourful PC setup.
2: Size of Keyboard
Believe it or not, keyboards can come in different sizes, shapes and lengths to accommodate different preferences. Want a keyboard which has an extra section at the bottom to allow you to rest your wrists onto? They’re available!
Do you dislike that pesky little numpad at the end and only want the words and arrow key sections? Many keyboards have been stripped of those extra numbers!
Do you want a pair of macro keys at one end of the keyboard to make tedious tasks super easy with a press of one? Those kinds of keyboards are available to you as well!
Once again, this is all down to preference and whether you need all of this or not, but the opportunity is there if you really need it, or if you feel as though you would be better off with it.
3: Price of Keyboard
And finally, you will need to consider with yourself the amount of pocket change you have in your… well, pockets. How much money are you willing to spend for a gaming keyboard to pair up with your gaming mouse and rig?
Obviously, both of the previous key points about whether it has a backlight or not and the overall shape and size of the keyboard will both play a part in the final price of the keyboard, and this price is the main key point which you will have to take into consideration.
Is the extra £30 for your keyboard to shine red or blue really worth it? Do you really need your keyboard to light up to match your already bright blue setup? Only you can answer this as, again, this is all down to your very own and personal preference.
Right! Hopefully with those key points, you have an understanding of what it is you need to look through when choosing your new gaming keyboard. And with that, it is now time to move on to the main event!
1 – Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Starting off this list is going to be the BlackWidow Chroma by Razer. This is highly regarded as one of the best keyboards on the market, and absolutely worth your consideration if you are looking for a serious gaming keyboard. The reason I say this is because this keyboard is highly durable, so it won’t get damaged or break any time soon while you’re using it.
One thing which makes this a must have keyboard, and my favourite feature, is the amount of customisability this keyboard gives you with Razer’s Synapse software. You will be able to change the colour of any keys to whatever colour you’d like; you will easily be able to match the colour of your current setup with this keyboard.
If that wasn’t enough, you will like that this keyboard:
- Has an 80 million keystroke lifespan, so it will be a long time until these keys are most likely to stop working. This keyboard is perfect for you if you spend a lot of your time gaming and pressing keys down constantly.
- 5 additional macro keys which can allow you to program commands into to make tedious tasks easier. This is a must have keyboard for you if you use a word or spreadsheet program and constantly perform actions that you could easily program to a macro.
- Contains a build-in headphone and microphone jack. You will be able to use a headset and microphone with ease with this keyboard, and just another reason why this is a must have.
However, even the top dog has a few downsides to it:
- Very expensive. This absolutely ISN’T a budget-friendly keyboard, so if you are low on money and are looking for a keyboard, either wait until you have more money, or get a more budget-oriented one.
- This is a very large and bulky keyboard, so you will need to make a lot of space for it on your desk.
- Super loud mechanical keys. This is not a suitable keyboard to use if you game in a quiet environment or if you find the constant sound of key pressing annoying.
Nevertheless, this is a serious keyboard, and absolutely worth your consideration if you are on the market looking for a hardcore gaming keyboard. But don’t just take my word for it; click below to see the hundreds of overwhelmingly positive reviews for it on Amazon:
2 – Corsair STRAFE
Corsair are highly renowned in the PC gaming industry for their effective PSUs (Power Supply Units), which ultimately coverts mains electricity to a lower voltage level to make it safe for the components within to run on; it’s pretty much one of the most crucial components inside a computer system.
Their STRAFE gaming keyboard, however, is a must have peripheral, especially if you game a lot and need a new keyboard to match your monitor and mouse. One of the reasons WHY it is a must have is the little extra wrist support section at the bottom of the keyboard; this will give support for your wrists and decrease the risk of strain and discomfort, which is the LAST thing you need which plowing through an intense match.
Here are some other features this keyboard has that I think you will love:
- Silent Cherry MX mechanical keys aren’t as loud as traditional mechanical keys, so when you type you won’t be able to hear the keys, which can be quite beneficial if you game in a quiet environment, or if you just dislike the sound of keys being pressed.
- Has a built-in USB port which you can use to charge your phone or even plug your mouse into and use it from there. This feature is another reason why this keyboard is very convenient and a must have.
- Dynamic multicoloured RGB backlighting which gives you a wide range of colour customisability. You will be able to set this keyboard up with either your favourite colour or the colour of your computer setup.
- Detachable wrist support to give your wrists a comfortable place to rest upon while using this keyboard. You won’t strain your wrists or fingers with this keyboard.
And now we move on to the drawbacks of this keyboard:
- Just like the Chroma, this is another pretty pricey keyboard, so look elsewhere if you are low on money and are desperate for a keyboard.
The convenience and unique wrist support makes up for the hefty price, however, and it is absolutely a must have if you are looking for a hardcore gaming keyboard. Click below to see all the positive Amazon reviews for it:
3 – ASUS ROG Claymore
Here is another brilliant gaming keyboard that is worth your consideration. ASUS are a highly renowned company in the PC gaming industry, and their ROG Claymore keyboard is a serious contender in the keyboard competition. The reason why this is a must have keyboard, and my favourite feature of this keyboard, is the detachable numpad that it has. If you find a numpad annoying, or don’t bother using the numbers on it, then this is the keyboard for you.
Here are some other features that I think you will love:
- If you have an ASUS ROG motherboard inside your computer, you will be able to control the GPU’s fan speed, lighting and the overclocking using the hotkeys on this keyboard.
- Keyboard is made of aluminum, so it will be very durable and won’t be as likely to break as other keyboards on the market.
- Detachable USB cable makes it easy to replace if the cable is damaged or broken, which will save you from having to buy a whole new keyboard.
- With this keyboard, you will be able to change the rate of which a letter repeats itself when you hold down a key. This can be useful if you need to over exaggerate the amount of exclamation marks you send to you friends!
And here are the cons of this keyboard:
- Very expensive keyboard, so if you are looking for a more budget-friendly keyboard, you won’t find it here.
Ignoring the price, this is a very decent gaming keyboard, and a must have if you play a lot of PC games. Click below to see the positive Amazon reviews for this product:
4 – HyperX Alloy
Want a competent mechanical keyboard which doesn’t take up too much space on a desk? Then the Alloy by HyperX is the gaming keyboard that you should consider! The reason why you should consider this keyboard is because of the amount of space that it can save if you place it on your desk compared to other keyboards on the market.
One of my favourite features of this keyboard is the red coloured textured key caps for the WASD and 1234 keys. These non-slip caps will not only prevent your fingers from slipping off these keys, but they will also provide you grip to make it easier to quickly press these keys while in an intense match.
Here are some other features this keyboard has that you will love:
- USB post which you can charge your phone or plug a mouse into. This is a very convenient feature, and one of the reasons why this keyboard is a must have.
- The keyboard is built on a solid steel frame, which makes this a very durable and stable keyboard.
- Comes with a mesh travel pouch which you can store the keyboard into. This will easily allow you to take this keyboard anywhere, such as to a friend’s house or if you are moving house.
- Contains Cherry MX mechanical keys, which are very durable and highly precise. Not only will these keys last a long time, but the pin-point precision are sure to improve your gaming performance. Another reason why this keyboard is a must have.
Of course, even this one has its drawbacks which you need to know:
- While not as costly as the previous keyboards on this list, it is still very pricey, and not budget-oriented.
- The compact style of keyboard may not match up with everyone’s preferences.
This is an amazing keyboard, and absolutely worth your consideration if you are looking for a keyboard which won’t take up as much space on your desk as other keyboards would. Click below to see the 70+ reviews for this keyboard on Amazon, with 90% of them being overwhelmingly positive:
5 – Logitech G213 Prodigy
Here’s another keyboard with a very convenient wrist support section which can save your wrists and fingers from strain. The G213 Prodigy by Logitech is a great keyboard to consider if you not only want a keyboard with a wrist rest but also one that is VERY durable and can resist the hazards that typical keyboards are in danger of every day, from liquid spills to food crumbs and dirt.
One of my favourite features of this keyboard is the amount of customisability that you can do to this keyboard with Logitech Gaming Software. You will be able to change the colour of the backlight, assign multiple functions to keys to save yourself time for specific things, and other things.
If that wasn’t enough, you will love that this keyboard:
- Has dedicated multimedia buttons which you can use to lower, increase or mute the volume altogether. You can also pause / play and skip music tracks as well. This is a feature that makes this keyboard very convenient for you.
- Is built with performance tuned mech dome switches which provide quicker and more responsive feedback than other keyboards on the market.
- The switches also have an anti-ghosting feature which can allow you to press down more keys simultaneously than other keyboards. You will be able to hold down as many keys as you’d like, which can be very beneficial with video games that require you to hold down a lot of keys simultaneously.
- Beautiful RGB backlight colours to make this keyboard very eye-catching.
- The value is pretty good for what you get. This is a great budget-friendly keyboard with its features compared to other keyboards with similar features on this list.
And now on to the cons of this keyboard:
- The wrist support section makes this keyboard much larger than others on the market, so you will need to make sure you have enough space on your desk to accompany it.
With its decent price and the features it contains, this is a must have keyboard if you like to game a lot. But don’t take my word for it, click below to see the positive reviews for it on Amazon:
6 – Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S
Here is another great mechanical keyboard which will save you a LOT of space on your desk; the MasterKeys Pro S by Cooler Master. This is absolutely worth your consideration if you want to save space in your work environment, and want a great gaming keyboard which absolutely won’t fail you.
One of my favourite features of this keyboard, not including its amazingly compact size, is the Cherry MX mechanical switches. These are very durable and highly responsive, meaning that if you replace a normal, non-gaming keyboard with this one, you will find yourself improving drastically in your gaming performance. There is also a chance that this keyboard will last longer than that previous keyboard too.
Here are some other features that make this keyboard a must have:
- Has its own processor that allows you to create macros, and registers keystrokes instantly. The macros will help you if you perform tedious tasks with a word or spreadsheet document, and the quick registering of keystrokes could give you the upper hand against opponents in competitive video games.
- Cooler Master Software allows you to change the colour of the keyboard’s backlight, and to let you choose animations for the keyboard to play either automatically or when you press down a key.
- Or, you could quickly change the colour of the keyboard using the FN and either F1, F2 or F3 buttons without the need for this software.
- Able to use downloaded LED templates created by people to help you improve your FPS skills by setting important keys such as WASD as a different, more vibrant colour.
And here are the drawbacks of this keyboard:
- If you prefer the extra section numpad on your keyboards, then you will have to consider something else rather than this one.
- The Cooler Master software may make unwanted changes to your keyboard if you either update a patch or download it entirely. If you don’t want your keyboard settings to change, either don’t update the software patch, or don’t install the software at all.
This is a very beneficial keyboard, and can save you a LOT of space on your desk. Click below to see the positive reviews for this keyboard on Amazon:
7 – HAVIT HV-KB558CM
The only keyboard on this list with an accompanying mouse, the HV-KB558CM keyboard and mouse combo by HAVIT is a great contender in this list, and one that you must consider if you are on the market looking for one. This is very convenient if you are looking for BOTH a keyboard and mouse for your setup and want to kill two birds with one stone.
One of my favourite features of this keyboard, minus the extra mouse of course, is the easy to use multimedia keys at the far left of the keyboard. These keys include a volume changer, pausing and playing videos, and skipping pictures or music in a library. These are very useful if you need to do any of these things, and with this keyboard you will be able to do them very quickly.
Here are some other features that you may like:
- Compatible with Mac and Linux systems, and also from Windows 10 all the way back to Windows 2000. You should have no trouble using this pair with any computer system available today.
- Clicking FN + ESC will adjust the backlight of the keyboard. You will be able to change the rainbow light to be bright, medium, make the backlight turn itself off and on again in a breathing-like rhythm, and to turn off the backlight entirely. There’s no need for a piece of software to do this for you like, for example, Razer’s BlackWidow Chroma.
- Mouse has a DPI button which can quickly change the rate of sensitivity it can have. This is useful if you need to quickly swap from a sniper rifle which requires slow, steady aim to a shotgun which needs quick, frantic aim in seconds during an intense game.
- You can turn the mouse light on and off by pressing either the forward or backward button and the DPI button. The mouse can have the colour red, blue, pink or purple.
- Very cheap for a mouse and keyboard bundle. If you are looking for a budget-friendly keyboard, this is one of your best choices.
And now, we move on to the drawbacks of this pair:
- Sometimes, the backlight of the keyboard stays on after turning off the computer. This random chance may be an inconvenience to some, especially if you are annoyed by lights in your room at night.
- The keyboard may be too large and bulky for some. If you are looking for a more spacious keyboard, you may find them with the Alloy or the MasterKeys Pro S from earlier.
Looking past these drawbacks, this is a very decent mouse and keyboard bundle and absolutely worth your consideration. There are hundreds of reviews for this bundle on Amazon, and a majority of them are overwhelmingly positive. Click below to see what other people’s thoughts are on them:
8 – ROCCAT Isku+
If you are in the market looking for a large keyboard which will put less strain on your wrists and hands while gaming, this is one you must consider. The reason I say this is because of the very comfortable and VERY large wrist rest the keyboard has.
One of my favourite features that this keyboard has is the 3 extra buttons at the bottom of the keyboard, underneath the space bar. These programmable keys can be customised and be used by you however you’d like them to be used. For instance, they can be the quick health or mana button for your RPGs.
Here are some other things about this keyboard that I think you will like:
- Can be used with ROCCAT’s Swarm software which can be used to customise and edit this keyboard and decide what its buttons can do.
- Has an extra “easy shift +” button which you can use to assign secondary button functions to, with 36 in total. Gone are the days where you would have to memorise and hold down 3 buttons at once to perform a specific command. With this keyboard, you will be able to instantly do it with the easy shift +, and another button you assigned the command to.
- Contains enhanced anti-ghosting technology; no matter how many keys you press down, they will all be registered. This can be very helpful in games which require many buttons to be pressed at once.
Now, its time to see what the cons of this keyboard are:
- Backlight can only shine the colour blue. You won’t be able to change the colour with neither the keyboard, OR with the Swarm software. If you don’t have a blue-themed setup, or dislike the colour blue, this keyboard may not be for you.
- This will take up a LOT of desk room. If you have a smaller desk, and don’t have room for a large keyboard, you may want to consider the MasterKeys Pro S by Cooler Master instead.
No matter the cons, this is a brilliant gaming keyboard that I think you will absolutely love, especially if you have a desk or play area large enough to accompany its large size. If you aren’t yet convinced, click below to see the dozens of positive Amazon reviews for it:
9 – SteelSeries Apex M500
If you just want an ordinary gaming keyboard which doesn’t have any fancy features like macro keys or wrist supports, then look no further than an Apex M500 by SteelSeries. This keyboard looks as basic as they come, but don’t be fooled! While there’s no macro keys or separate multimedia keys in site, this is a serious gaming keyboard, and definitely worth your consideration if you are looking for one.
One of my favourite features of this keyboard is the Cherry MX mechanical switches it has. These are very durable and responsive, so not only will they easily pick up your every key click, but they will also last much longer than normal key switches.
Here are some other things about this keyboard that make it worth your consideration:
- Keyboard is reinforced with a steel plate which makes it very tough and durable. This keyboard should have no problem surviving any bangs or smacks you accidentally give it.
- Bright blue LED lights gives this keyboard a lovely illumination. You will easily be able to choose the brightness of the LED from bright to dim.
- Anti-ghosting technology allows you to hold down as many keys as possible without none registering. You won’t be restricted in any way, and you will be able to flawlessly play games that require you to hold down a lot of keys simultaneously.
- Compatible with every modern Windows OS from 7 to 10.
And now, we move on to the drawbacks of this keyboard:
- Blue is the ONLY colour available to you, so if you don’t have a blue PC setup, or generally dislike the colour blue, this may not be the keyboard for you.
Looking past the restriction in colour, however, and we come across a very competent gaming keyboard, and absolutely one that you should consider if you are in the market looking for one. Click below to see the overwhelmingly positive reviews for this keyboard:
10 – ASUS Cerberus MKII
We end off this keyboard list with the Cerberus MKII by ASUS; while this has a slightly similar design to the ROCCAT Isku+, it is not as big and absolutely worth your consideration if you need a keyboard with easy to use individual multimedia buttons.
One of my favourite things about this keyboard is the fact that the WASD keys are in a bright red base colour. While this may be a fatal flaw to the keyboard as it looks completely out of place, this will make it easier for you, especially if you are new to PC games, to find out what key are the mainstream movement controls in PC games.
Here are some other features about this keyboard that you may like:
- Build with a steel metal base, so this keyboard will be very durable and won’t break as easily or quickly as traditional keyboards.
- Keyboard has integrated drain holes to allow liquids to pass through the keyboard and not get caught under any keys. This makes any spills you make easy to clean up.
- Has multimedia keys to make it easy to increase or decrease the volume of your computer and to stop, pause and play music and videos. Great if you use your computer to play music or videos a lot.
- Also has macro keys which you can program commands onto. You can use these to perform tedious tasks for you on word or spreadsheet documents.
Now we move on to the drawbacks of this keyboard:
- If you won’t use a red colour as the backlight, the WASD buttons will appear out-of-place with their red background.
- This is a pretty big keyboard, so you will need to make sure you have enough space to accompany it.
Nevertheless, this is a brilliant keyboard and one that you must consider. Although there’s only 6 reviews for it on Amazon, they all are overwhelmingly positive. Click below to see them and find out what other people’s thoughts are on this keyboard:
And that marks the end of this list! Thank you so much for reading, and if you have any questions or thoughts on this post or subject as a whole, feel free to jot your comment down below in the comment section.
Also, be sure to check out my blog about how you can clean your keyboard the right way as well.
Wishing you all the best!